Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allparts MOP block Jazz neck question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Jan 14, 2006.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Has anyone seen or played this neck? It's a Jazz, Rosewood board, mother of pearl inlays and white binding? I want to know if said inlays are real MOP or plastic. If they're plastic, how realistic do they look?

I'm reasonably certain that these folks make a quality neck -somewhere between, say, the average MIM and Warmoth or USA Custom guitars- but I'd like some feedback on that as well. I don't expect a Warmoth-level neck, but if you don't feel it's at least of average Fender MIA quality, I definitely need to know.

2. I've got one on a J... it's easily one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played. It's easily of the same or greater quality than the average MIA offering. Mine has a couple high frets I gotta take care of, but even with very low action it doesn't buzz anywhere! My MIA Deluxe can't even touch the action on this bass, great neck.

The inlays are really inlaid, and they seem to be the real deal. Good-looking, have depth to them. The binding is nice and comfortable (I love bound basses). The fretboard is very dark (much much darker than my MIA Deluxe's board), which I didn't like at first... but it does have a dark character to it, and the grain is pretty nice when you see it up close.

Overall, you get what you pay for... excellent neck, very comfortable, nice attention to detail.

3. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hmmmm, seems a bit expensive. Doesn't Warmoth charge less for their bound and blocked necks?

4. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Jenderfazz- Thanks for your input. Good to know the neck's worthy. This makes my decision that much more difficult, tho.

Hellspawn- No, but it is close enough to make me think twice. This neck is new on ebay for $240 plus shipping. It's been completely finished (advertised as "with finish", whatever that means. I've emailed the seller to ask). Warmoth's bound 'n blockeds sell for $275 and up sealed, but needing final finish. The choice comes down to a Warmoth with a DIY finish (a pro job would raise the cost above my limit) or the Allparts with a factory finish.

Trouble is, if I went Warmoth, I'd be leaning toward a maple board, which would need the same finish as the rest of the neck, and I wouldn't feel comfortable finishing a board.

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Never rolled with an AP neck...but heard great things about them.

I'm a Warmoth guy....never played a bad product from them, and their willingness to work with you is surprising.

If you get the AP neck, I'm eager to hear your thoughts on it.

6. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
  7. I bought said neck of eBay a couple of weeks ago; just mated it to a Signature body (came complete w/electronics) that I got a couple of days ago also from the 'Bay. Added Hipshot vintage reverse tuners w/detuner and a graphite nut, and voila! Beautiful bass, quality parts. Once the Labella tapewounds come in, it'll be near-perfect :)

8. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Did you apply the Fender decal yourself, or did you have a luthier do it? Nice job either way, from what I can tell (my monitor is dying a very slow death, and the colors have changed somewhat). I was thinking of coming up with some kind of original logo just to keep the headstock from being bare.

9. The neck actually came with the decal already applied. The necks this guy has on the 'Bay have the decals applied.

10. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Got it. You must have bought your neck from a different seller. I think I've seen those necks on the 'bay myself, but I never pulled the trigger.

This is the seller I'll likely be buying from. His necks have no decal, but I'm sure I can design something.