1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

allparts neck replacement on MIM jazz. new tuners? & other questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by redielg, Aug 1, 2008.

1. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    Hey there.
    I have a 2006 MIM jazz bass in sunburst.
    I've put a black pickguard and and a badass II on it.
    After the pickups, I'll be saving up for an allparts neck since they're pretty cheap.

I'm trying to decide upon which tuners I put on the neck once I get it. Should I just use the MIM tuners from the stock neck? Are these inferior? Has anyone found a problem with these? Should I get other tuners? I like the look on vintage tuners but I know I'm going to end up buying a drop D tuner. So what's the best outlook for me?

Also, how easy is to place a fender thumb-rest between both pickups? Or should I buy another kind.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Allparts and Mighty Mite both make good replacement necks.

3. Just curious, why are you replacing the neck? You bought a complete bass, then changed the pickguard and the bridge, and you are going to replace the pickups and the neck. Heck, if you bought a body you'd have an entirely different bass!

Again, I'm not criticizing, just curious whay you didn't just build your own from the start.

4. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    The tuners are fine unless they don't stay in tune. I'd expect MIM tuners to be just fine.

The only reason I'd change 'em out is if your badass is black and/or to add an Xtender. The Xtender itself will cost more than a decent set of tuners.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If you are trying to stay on budget, the MIM tuner will do the job. If you want to splurge, Hipshot tuners are spectacular.

6. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    This is my only bass. I've had it for a year and a half. I use it for everything, gigs, practice & recording. I'm never gonna sell it either. I'd love to make this bass mine ya know? Different. Personally, I love the look of a maple neck much more. I know its a purely aesthetic change. yeah, I am on a budget. So I guess I'll stick with my MIM tuners and just buy a Drop D Xtender.

This isn't gonna happen anytime soon either. Just something I'll do eventually. :)

7. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    Any help with the thumb rest?

8. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    bump

9. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    any help on the thumbrest?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021