Allparts vs MIA Fender necks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by screaminglucy, Mar 16, 2010.

1. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    what´s your opinion on the quality of a MIA fender vs allparts replacement neck? i´m building a parts bass and i could go either way. i already have a bass with an allparts neck and it´s nice. is the MIA going to be nicer? or not?

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    If you are buying new (like disassembled new Fenders from Ebay) you are probably going to spend somewhere around $600 for a MIA. and I think new allparts for less than $200. Not a fair comparison. If you want a Fender logo and serial number, the extra $400 may be justifiable. Personally, I think the Fender is a higher quality neck. If I could justify the $$$$ I would go with Fender. A new/like new MIM neck would be a better comparison. They are also excellant necks and would be about the same price as the AllParts neck.
    Another option would be a neck from a Highway 1 bass. It's MIA but 1/2 the price of other MIA necks.
    Actually, I think it's a MIM neck with USA decals on it. Food for thought, All Fender necks are made in Corona, even the ones that say Made in Mexico.
    Rocky

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    IME Allparts necks are very consistent, high-quality necks. I can't really say I've run into a bad one yet.

Truth is, I've encountered more clunkers on MIA Fenders than I have from Allparts. That's just been my personal experience.

I've also found that the MIM necks are a crapshoot. Some are really, really good and some stink out loud. They seem to be a little more consistent recently.

If I was shopping for a neck and I absolutely had to have the word Fender on the headstock, I'd go for a MIJ neck. I think Fender Japan has always had higher quality control than the other Fender factories. I've liked every single MIJ Fender guitar and bass neck I've ever played. If the name doesn't matter to you, I've had the same luck with Allparts. Very good stuff, IMO.

This is, of course, just my take on it.

4. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Allparts necks are made in Japan, I believe. I like them as much as Fender USA.

5. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, the Allparts necks are made in Japan.

6. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I have an Allparts Jazz fretless neck on my P-bass and love it; don't really know how a Fender MIA could be any better.

JIO likes this.
  7. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    Well I don't care about the name on the headstock. I also don't think cost is an issue- and I find it not always indicative of quality.

One thing I would like to ask is the graphite reinforcement going to make any difference?

8. obsession600

obsession600

Mar 13, 2007
    NYC
    I had to replace the neck on my MIM jazz. I went with an Allparts and my luthier and I are very happy. I used www.dguitarparts.com for my purchase.

9. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    . . . and the USA.

They're a great value.

JIO likes this.
  10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Graphite in the neck can make a difference. I'm not going to say it "does" make a difference because I've never added graphite to an existing neck and played it before and after, but IME graphite reduces the famous Fender (and Fender clone) dead spot and also helps to keep a neck stable.

The difference is not so great that it made me swear off non-graphite necks forever or anything, but the difference is there.

11. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Jones64 likes this.
  12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    + 1 to Everything Lo-E stated here.

I have 2 of them on basses and prefer then to the MIAs (In fact one was used to replace a MIA that went south a long time ago.

13. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    ok well i went ahead and got both. i would say the allparts necks although chunkier are on a par quality wise. the particular MIA neck i got was superb so i'm using it.

14. funkomatic

funkomatic

Sep 28, 2006
    I've had one Allparts neck and several Fender Japan necks. I prefer the Fender Japan necks over the Allparts. The Allparts neck had a fret that was cut too short and the neck was chunky. I was never able to get a good action with it for some reason. But this was all about 3 years ago and only one neck.

I would either go with Fender or Warmoth rather than Fender or Allparts.

15. so do you like Fender or not? :)

16. funkomatic

funkomatic

Sep 28, 2006
    The few Fender MIAs I've played have been very nice necks, better than the Allparts, for sure.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the Fender necks are actually made by Allparts in the same factories by the same people.

17. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Now you have an extra neck. You know what THAT means, don't you?

18. My parts jazz bass has an Allparts bound/block neck and it is sweet! I was told to stay away from reinforced necks if I wanted a more vintage sound. Maybe I lucked out, but I just bought a BEAUTIFUL American Special 3TB and the neck plays so nice BUT, it is missing that "thing" that my parts bass has. It has more "gank" and sounds OK. I even swapped the pups with Custom shop 60's and it did not improve it. So this beauty is on the block and I'm keeping my mex body, allparts neck jazz with CS 60's pups & badass bridge.

19. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Only know of Allparts Fender authorized necks (I've owned a few and currently still have two, one of which is a favorite) Never had one that wasn't worth what I paid for it.

"That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the Fender necks are actually made by Allparts in the same factories by the same people."

Or to rephrase, "That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the Fender necks are actually made in the same factories as Allparts necks by the same people"

As a cyclist I know this is the case w/many top-brand/level bike frames/complete bikes for sure and it only makes sense that it goes on in the instrument industry as well.

20. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    All Parts necks are top notch in my experience. They are every bit as good if not better than MIA necks.

Rano Bass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021