Almost 11 Months, But The Fretless Ric Is Here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Today UPS dropped off my fretless Ric that was ordered the first week of last March. It was a long wait...but im pleasantly surprised thus far.
    It feels great and i have been "noodling" around with it unplugged and i think ill adapt to the fretless quickly. (its the first fretless i have ever owned)
    Even unplugged this thing has a unique kind of fretless sound...kinda reminds me of a fretted Ric and a fretless Jazz together in one...Smoothness with a clank i suppose? lol
    Ill be sure to write back in this thread once i hear it plugged in...i havent had the chance yet. Everything from fit to finnish seems A+ so far...just gotta hear her plugged in. :D

And of course..what you all have been waiting for...THE PICS!

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    ...and may I be the first to *officially* congratulate you on a superb looking instrument? Now plug it in, damnit! ;)
  3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Congratulations B'Aces!!!!!!
  4. I'm not the first, but its still beautiful! Plug it in!
  5. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Congrats, I've been wanting a fretless Ric for the longest time, but I don't have the money right now. :( Looks awesome though.
  6. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Wow, that is sweet! Congratulations. :) Will you post some sound clips eventually?
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats on a long wait, finally worthwhile.
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Congratulations! That is one fine looking bass. So...when do we get sound clips? ;)
  9. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    looks nice!

do you plan on using the rik-o-sound feature?
  10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nice bass, B'Aces !

BTW, are the vintage knobs standard on this one, or was it a special order ?

Congrats !

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    AWESOME B'ACES! When I was searching for a fretless I was interested in the Ric. Are you going to finish the fingerboard to prevent it from wearing down quickly? (I presume you will be using rounds). I'll be expecting soundclips.
  12. Thanks folks.

To awnser some questions...first i cannot make soundclips yet...but i promise i will work on it.

I plugged it in and played with it for a while...i think i found a new fav bass. This thing sounds so cool...just like i described..kinda a mix between a fretless jazz meets a fretted Ric..different..yet cool.

The fingerboard has the same type of finnish as a standard not too sure how tough the finnish is...but it will be something to keep an eye on. There are Rickenbacker rounds on there now. Sounds pretty sharp.

The vintage knobs i added myself..i ordered them a couple months ago and planned on putting them on this bass...just for that lil extra physical difference to really set it apart from my other Rics.

At this time im not intereted in the Rick-O-Sound.

And another pic..this time the Rickenfamily. :bassist:

13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pretty fam. 3 best colors.
  14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    SCHWEET FAMILY! I,m no Ric conaisseur so I don't know what the fingebroard finish is on it now :meh: Just watch out, that rosewood sure uses pretty quickly. once again congrats! I'm glad it was worth the wait, with all my compulsive GAS and lack of patience I coulda neva done it!
  15. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Quite a nice collection. Congrats! I've always wanted to like/own a Ric, but everytime I come back to trying one I always find the P/U and other hardware positioning getting in my way especially with my pic playing. Too bad 'cuz I love their cuttin' tone.
  16. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    why did it take so long?
  17. JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    oh god here comes the GAS

18. Its actually pretty normal to wait a long time for a Ric. They are usually 8 to 10 months behind schedule on orders.
    There is a long wait list...demand outweighs production.
  19. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Nice.....glad to see that it finally came in and that you are happy with it. Excellent looking family you got there :smug:
  20. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    That white and black one is just sick. Is it a 4001, or is the Fireglo? I've gotta get me a Rick one of these days... :bawl: