1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Almost 20 gigs in the last 8 weekends, finally have a weekend off...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Barfly, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I think I've gigged almost 20 times in the last 8 weeks March, all between Thurs - Sat. That's a lot for me and will no doubt be the norm for awhile. The $$$ is a real help around the casa but I need a rest.

I had some health concerns back in November due to a hectic family/gigging/work schedule. I actually thought I was having heart trouble due to weird pains and fatigue. I went to Emergency and had an ECG, which turned out fine (gas). Heart trouble is in our family so I wasn't going to F around. Saw my family doc and he pointed out my stress factor from family (2 small kids 6 and 3) /gigging (tons) /work (meh, it's work). This was in mid December and, from his orders, I took all of Jan. off.

Gigs started back up in early Feb. and have been pretty much every weekend (be it 1, 2 or 3 nights) so I booked this whole weekend off (sans the regular Thurs gig which started 3 weeks ago) so I could rest and get stuff done around the house.

Sh*t, I went through yesterday on about 3.5 hours sleep but could not sleep even though I worked from home. Slept like a baby last night.

Fixed a leak today and removed old/installed new closet doors. Prolly going to paint the shower room ceiling tomorrow.

Sitting here now, listening to tunes, watching the Leafs kill the Sabres (***??? 7-0!!!).

Wife is doing homework, kids are in bed. Just me, some Sleemans Draught, tunes, hockey and a mellow 'tude.

Feels good.

Nice to have a rest considering I have 2 local and one overnighter next weekend.

Anyone else ever just call in "off"? I'm going to make a habit of this - or die trying.

Steve

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I've been off of all gigs for a couple months now. I gotta agree, it feels good, but it'd feel better if I wasn't working 14-20 hour days! On salary, no less! So I think I would probably do better financially if I worked for McD's...

3. Man, as much as I would love to play that much, it might even be too much for me. I tuned into the game about 4 min. into the 1st and it was already 4-0 I was amazed, I had to make sure I was watching a leafs game and not the wrong game. Alos man your band sounds really good, I was watching the video, the crowd participation was awesome, congrats. I'm going to have to come check you guys out sometime for sure since you never seem to play too far away from here.

Kyle

4. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Thanks Kyle!

Here's our sched:

Date Venue City
    April 08, 2006 RAXX Kingston, Ontario
    NOTE: 2nd Date change!!!

April 28, 2006 Park Place Oshawa, Ontario
    Cover TBA.

May 06, 2006 The Foundation Barrie, Ontario
    Cover TBA.

May 13, 2006 TJ's Hanger Orangeville, Ontario
    $5.00 Cover.

May 27, 2006 Philthy McNastys Oakville, Ontario
    Cover TBA.

June 03, 2006 Peel Pub Toronto, Ontario
    Cover TBA.

July 14, 2006 Owen Sound Arena Owen Sound, Ontario
    With Crazy Babies, Mama Kin and Sandman!

5. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Mr. Fly,

Congrats on a jammed schedule. We all want to play all the time until we actually do it!!

You bring up a point that I'm facing right now. How to juggle the job/ family/ gig tryclops...... I not only deal with it personally but all 4 members of the band are married with kids and jobs. Just trying to get everybody together is really tough. If I had advice I'd give it, but I suck at it, too.

I wonder if there are any grizzled veterans out there with words of wisdom????

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The way I do it is to pass out cds of material and have everyone learn their parts as they can. Call one rehearsal, do all the songs (I try to get 4-5 per rehearsal) Intro-1 verse-chorus-plus bridge and fancy endings, if needed. Minimizes time away from family and job.

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Time off once in a while is about the only way I can get re-energized. Taking time for yourself is golden, and something all of us should do more often then, I suspect, we do. I've had a standing gig every Fri. and Sat. since the beginning of Oct. of last year. Throw in a few extras here and there and it begins to wear on you. I've had the occasional Fri or Sat off (my choice, when I can get a sub) and it helps. I'm luckier than most, unmarried, kids are grown, my time is my own.

I like playing more than not, so I'll get it while I can.

8. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    We have a policy in our band that we leave one weekend out of each month free. No gigs, no rehearsal, no nuttin' band-related. So far, it's worked pretty well.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I had no gigs last weekend fortthe first time in a long time. It sucked and I didn't konw what to do with myself. 3 a week for the rest of april is pretty cool though. Hopefully the rest of spring/summer continues in that fashion.