almost anyone can answer this

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i'm lazy, Jun 19, 2001.

1. i'm lazy

i'm lazy Guest

May 29, 2001
    Vallejo, CA
    I know almost anyone can answer my question... I know that there are amps made specifically for bass guitars, but i wanted to know what were the advantages of having one, and if i could play with just a normal guitar amp.. thanks.
  2. Use the search function.
  3. i'm lazy

i'm lazy Guest

May 29, 2001
    Vallejo, CA
    Wow, how predictable, i knew some "look at me i have more than 500 posts" guy would answer something like that.. well smart guy, i've already tried that and haven't come up with anything. I'm sorry i'm not a master bass man like you, if anyone at least remotely smart with at least a little bit of common courtesy/sense can answer my question i'd really appreciate it, obviously this guy doesn't.
  4. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I'm with lazy, I understand how annoying repetition of questions being annoying, but this is pretty fresh. If he would have asked, "How do you slap?" or "Don't you hate fieldy?" It would be understandable. I think what I'm trying to say is, if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.
  5. OK I have way more than 500 posts and seeing in your eyes that must make me a better player than members like ThePaste and TheFrizzleFry. I will give my view. You want to play bass, get a bass amp, some way any way. You will ruin the speakers in the Guitar amp. Common sense, this is why companies make bass amps. The two products are not the same.

Thanks for stopping by with your common courtesy.
    What does the "look at me thing" mean?
  6. I'm not being a smart ass or anything, but one of the answers would be, you get more bass. I think it takes more power to have the lower frequencies as loud as the higher ones so bass amps have higher wattage than guitar amps.
  7. If you're lazy, then sure. Play with a guitar amp.
  8. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Well I don't know about Pasty, but I'd say that's about right for me :)
  9. The advantage is that you won't blow up your speakers in 20 minutes.
  10. i'm lazy

i'm lazy Guest

May 29, 2001
    Vallejo, CA
    when i put "look at me" what i meant to convey was that his (or her) tone of voice was that of an arrogant person, and by arrogant i meant the "use the search button" response. gee whiz bass masters, i only wanted to see what the differences were... i've been playing with the guitar amp i had lying around and the speakers didn't "blow up in 20 minutes" like someone said, and this led me to ask the simple question about bass amps.. thanks to those who didn't act stupid... gee whiz, i'm only 17 here guys, i'm not as smart as you older people.. i'm sorry about my complete ignorance, next time i just won't ask, i mean, it's not like this message board is for questions or anything.....

- alex
  11. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    :Geezer Voice ON:

Back in the ol' days when I was a lad of 17...

:Geezer Voice OFF:

Actually lazy, against common sense, I used to play and gig with guitar amps exclusively. These included a Sunn Concert Lead @ 200W into a 3X12 Fender cabinet, (The kind that used to sit under the old Fender Rhodes piano) and an Ampeg V-4... Uncertain how many watts the Ampeg pushed, but it was LOUD... 4X12 cabinet. Both rigs did surprisingly well in that you could clearly hear the bass in the mix. The problem was what you were hearing was lacking in bottom end and was pretty mid-rangey. I don't know, maybe that's your thing. For deep, clear BASS, nothing beats a bass amp.

So... Yes you can. No, you won't really want to.

12. I tried a couple of searches on this subject and came up with nothing yes, it's more than a fair question.

But 17 is grown up, and you no longer get the advantage of the tolerance extended to the child when you are rude and arrogant, which you were a bit.

No one here is employed by the board or has a duty to give you an answer. It really riles me when people post terse demands for answers, and get annoyed when they don't get one immediately. Any answers offered depend on the answerer feeling like it.

The disadvantages to using a guitar amp are that firstly you are likely to blow the speakers eventually, secondly guitar speakers have a higher resonant frequency and different cab design and well as the amp being voiced in a different range which means that the bass won't sound as good as it would through a bass amp.
  13. i'm lazy

i'm lazy Guest

May 29, 2001
    Vallejo, CA
    I wasn't seriously using my age as an excuse for anything, and i didn't mean to come off as rude or arrogant, i was only a bit annoyed at the response of "use the search button", which is the only thing i have complained about, that persons "tone of voice" (if you will...) i realize nobody has to help me, but nobody has to act rude either (reffering to the search button person.) so thanks a lot for the information, i'm glad i got it and i'll get a bass amp soon so i don't blow out my little 25w guitar amp.. thanks.

14. Fair enough...and BTW, welcome to the board, Alex...

15. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    You will also find that the frequencys of the tone controls will not relate to the frequencys of your bass. Hey what the hell, if you have speakers that will handle it you might find the sound that you want, for years the top players used Marshall guitar stacks. Hmmm, I think I'm still living in the Seventys!!
    Perhaps from now on we should state that we've done a search in our posts to stop the smart arsed comments.
    Alternatively perhaps we should look at the fact that the original poster has only 5 posts to his name and could be gently pushed in the direction of searching. Not a very nice way to treat a newbie,considering he'd done the search first we could lose genuine decent players and contributors with this attitude. Think about it!
  16. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Just to lighten the mood a bit, this discussion reminds me of a song by Lobo (OK, I'm hanging my head down in shame) years ago called "The Rock and Roll Days". One of the lines says, "....the bands all played thru' one amp". This obviously refers to the 50's and 60's. Music has moved on since. We need more bottom end in our music these days.
  17. Hello 'Lazy and welcome to Talk Bass.

It's a great shame that your posting got off to a bad start. Perhaps the thing to do is forget what's happened and get on with using the Forum. After all, there's some really great advice to be had on these boards, and some top guys giving that advice. Come through it, friend, you'll be the better for it.

Bass amps and guitar amps are different breeds of the same animal. Yes, certainly,you could use a guitar amp for bass: many have done as they've said, and with decent results. But they're not designed to deliver the lows; the genuine punch that only a bass can deliver and sometimes @ some serious power.

Bass loudspeakers tend to be more heavily constructed and of lower resonance. They are then put into a cabinet that's designed specifically for bass use.

Bass amps are designed to handle the lows effectively. That will almost certainly involve slightly different electronic design reasoning than a guitar amp. Having said that, string for string, guitars and basses are only an octave apart - unless you're going below bottom E, that is.

If you can afford a bass amp / haven't got one, etc, use a guitar amp but turn down the volume a bit.

And don't be put off by what's happened here.

Rockin John
  18. Feel free to ask questions Lazy boy. If I look at your profile and do the math it says you are 35, is that a mistake or did you do that for a reason?

I think some of us are still a little on-gard because of a major Troll that is newly banished. I know I still am. The Paste gave you a short and sweet answer, not a big problem. I have done it a lot myself. Next time you get a reply like that maybe wait for a couple of more posts before a head ripping reply.

:) and Welcome to TalkBass.
  19. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    35? It's not 2019 you know.

Though I am sorta impressed by this.
  20. Geez it took long enough for someone to tell me, well I guess I should sell all these silver outfits.

Funny thing, I was born in 66 and got out of high school in 84, I must have confused the dates.