Almost destroyed my ergodyne painting!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tracker_br, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Hey guys , this afternoon I has cleanning the bridge of my ibanez edb690 bass , and I used a drop of machine oil on a cotton stick to put in the places that could rust with time after they were clean.
    So far so good , then the cotton stick touched the painting (embuia imitatting) and I cleaned it fast ,and saw that the painting was dissolving im front of my eyes!!
    Horror view ! Luckly the amont of oil was very little and I cleaned it fast but that part of the finish got different from the other ones.
    Be carefful friends , probably the anti-rust they put in or the oil itself can dissolve the painting and ruin your bass.
    The bass is great and the sound of the luthite body is good but I'm feeling that this finish is not going to last for life.Damn ibanez!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are only certain types of finishes that work with luthite. And the fake burl finish is fragile, whether on a Cort Curbow or an Ibanez. I don't think you can blame Ibanez for this.