almost done / post pics of your recording setup

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 1, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the only thing i need now are studio monitors, and i'm buying them right now. (i'm getting the studiophile sp-5b's, it's too good a deal to pass up) don't mind the ghetto keyboard either, it works :)

2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Nice looking setup man. Yeah those Studiophiles will definantly help heh. The ghetto keyboard it great..casio is the king of ghetto keyboards. I am pretty much staying at school right now. I would post a pic but the studio is at home and not setup. Here are the specs.

AMD 1800+
    512 MB Ram
    17' Monitor
    GForce 3
    Ltech Wireless Kb and Mouse
    M-Audio Audiophile
    Midiman Oxygen 9 Midi Controller
    Yamaha Keybored use it as full Midi controller
    Fostex VF-16 (Using as a digital mixer now)
    Fostex XR-7 (Using to prop up a table now)
    Alesis SR-16
    2 Sm-57's
    Realistic Dynamic Setreo Mic
    Various El Cheapo Mics
    Sony V-900 Headphones
    Phillips Stereo....useing as monitors right now...yuck
    Boss Voice Transformer
    Digitech RP-1
    Wurlitzer Upright Piano

Sonar 2.1
    Propellerhead Reason
    Fruity Loops (once I discovered reason this became obsolete)

The probably most inportant part of my recording setup is a Comfortable chair. It definantly helps when sitting there for hours mastering and programing.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, that's the one thing i'm seriously lacking right now. i have a chair that looks like it's out of a proctologists waiting room from 1950. :(
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Nice setup, Jason (though I'm not sure about that Casio excuse-for-a-keyboard :D)).

I need some monitors for my setup, too - though there are some my Dad has found which should be pretty good, for about £600 a pair. But I can't afford that at the moment.

What I also need are some cordless headphones! As a rule, cables get in the way :p But I've found that the worst offender is the headphone cable - when you're trying to record your own performance. It's just generally a pain in the ass, so I'm gonna see if I can get me some cordless 'phones.

I also need to see if I can get MIDI set up on my laptop so I can set up a synch with the recorder.

I gotta get me a mic too (geez... is there anything I *do* actually have? :)). At the moment I'm using my dad's mics (they are the ****, but I can't rely on him, I need to get my own) - so I'm thinking of an AKG C3000B, as a decent not-too-expensive mic. Especially since there's deal on 'em at the moment where I can get the mic, a boom stand, a shockmount, a cable, and a popper-stopper - for £220! Not bad at all. Also, I can use it with the mic modelling algorithm in my DAW.

I need some acoustic treatment for my room too.

Geez... I've got a lot to get! :p
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i suppose i might as well post specs:

xp1700+ @ 1.8ghz (will be around 2ghz once i get a better fan, i'm on the stock one right now)
    512mb pc2700 ram
    gigabyte ga-7vaxp mobo
    radeon 7500le (DDR)
    120 GB WD special edition drive
    17" monitor and 15" monitor
    hp burner
    hp scanjet 3300c scanner

m-audio omni studio
    m-audio sp-5b monitors (enroute)
    casio ghetto keyboard (but right now i've got my brothers Roland RD-100 he was using to record with) SWEEEEET!

cubase SX
    vegas 3
    acid 4
    fruityloops (which i like more than reason right now, i know how to use it :) )

wish list:
    another hard drive, somethign smallish for OS and progs
    DVD-ROM drive
    another 1/2gig of ram
    nicer CPU fan
    rode nt-1 mic
    sm57 mic
    oxygen8 keyboard

that'd totally do it :D
  6. SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    I'd post a picture but I don't know how to. Here are some of the things I have:
    Boss BR-532 Digetal recorder.
    Behringer mic
    Two AKG mics
    Mackie 1402 mixer
    Two Korg groove boxes
    Roland D2 groover box
    Ghetto keyboard my brother won when he wa on the show Double Dare.

That about does it. It does the job and let's me record myself good enough.
  7. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina

LOL!..ahh I once won a cake at a fair. Thats great man. Nice setup tough. I am thinking about getting a groove box. What do you use them for?..I don't know if I understand the whole idea behind them.
  8. SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    My other brother mainly uses them for making trance music. There're fun when you have nothing else to do.
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Just ordered myself an AKG C3000B - with boom stand, cable, shockmount and popper-stopper, £219 including delivery! :) Pretty damn good, considering the RRP for the mic alone is £238 :eek:
  10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Arrived this morning :)
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

12. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's your recording setup is it Bruce?

What kind of hard disk recorder are you using? And is that a digital mixer over there in the corner?

13. SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    At first i thought it was a picture of a kitchen.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

What was it : music from a different kitchen, or was it another kitchen? ;)
  15. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Dang Bruce...whats your processor speed?
  16. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Here's my set-up in a nutshell. I use a pair of Fostex D-108 recorders here at the Riff Ranch. They are 8 trackers that are midi synced to provide 16 tracks. The D-108s are a bit different than the newer Fostex hard disc recorders in that they are stand alones but do not have a mixer or CD Burner built-in. I use a Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO to mix, a Fostex CR-300 to burn (and back up data), and Event 20/20's to monitor. After I burn my final mix I rip it onto my computer and master it with T-Racks 24 software.
    I gotta say I love the D-108s. Very stable & I have never had any problems with them. I just don't like the idea of recording on to a computer so I felt a standalone was the way to go.
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I tend to feel the same, Geoff. It's just I've used computers a lot, and I work with them - and I know what they're like under the influence of Windows :) Something like recording, I wouldn't wanna trust a computer to do - not because of the recording software, because of Windows :) I don't trust it.

Macs are a different story though.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Call me Karlheinz!! ;)
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001