Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Almost done with my custom jazz....advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Commander Adama, Mar 5, 2003.

1. First the lovely details.

Maple body, finished in black nitro, birdseye maple neck, medium Jazz c profile, graphite reinforced, ebony fretboard, 10 inch radius with MOP inlay dots and tele headstock finished in fender amber nitro, Fender American deluxe thru body or not bridge, Fender current American tuners, current Fender "F" neck plate used on custom shop Jazzes), custom "F*cker" decal, B/WB pickguard, old school bakelite knobs, and Rio Grande Muy grande pickups.

I have a few things left to do. Drill for and install the string ferrules, get a string nut made (I want to use nickel silver) and drill the hole for the ground wire from the bridge to the control cavity.

The ground hole drilling is what is confounding me. Is there a trick to this? Is there a jig or something I can buy? It looks like I'll need a super long bit and I'll have to hold the bass at a crazy angle while drilling, and I don't want to mess this up. So far I've gone slow on this and it's perfect, I'm just a little nervous about this one thing.

Also any comments on nickel for the nut are welcome, too.

Hopefully this will sound as kickass as it looks.....

2. Sounds like you've got a winner here...

About the nut - unless you have a source for some 1/8" bar stock in nickel silver, you might find it difficult to get what you want. Why not a nice piece of hardened aircraft aluminum? It's silver and much more attainable in pieces that can be worked into a nut. I use it all the time and have lots around the shop.

As for the ground wire hole. Yep, you'll need a long drill bit about 12" in length. They sell them at Stewart MacDonald but you can beat the price by shopping your local home improvement center. That's where I got mine for about $7. You MUST be very careful of this procedure or you'll find the bit poking out the back of the the body - Let's not dwell on how I know this, just take my word for it :oops: Also, you don't hold the bass at an angle - just the bit. Lay the body flat on your work surface and sight the bit to the proper angle. It helps if you start a little higher in your pup cavity and then angle down to the control inlet.

Good luck and let's see some pics!

3. Thanks for the reply.

I do have a source for the nickel....Warmoth. They sell blank nuts in a bunch of different materials.

I'll get pics up as soon as she's finished. (hopefully soon!)