Almost done with my custom jazz...advice?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Commander Adama, Mar 5, 2003.

1. First the lovely details.

Maple body, finished in black nitro, birdseye maple neck, medium Jazz c profile, graphite reinforced, ebony fretboard, 10 inch radius with MOP inlay dots and tele headstock finished in fender amber nitro, Fender American deluxe thru body or not bridge, Fender current American tuners, current Fender "F" neck plate used on custom shop Jazzes), custom "F*cker" decal, B/WB pickguard, old school bakelite knobs, and Rio Grande Muy grande pickups.

I have a few things left to do. Drill for and install the string ferrules, get a string nut made (I want to use nickel silver) and drill the hole for the ground wire from the bridge to the control cavity.

The ground hole drilling is what is confounding me. Is there a trick to this? Is there a jig or something I can buy? It looks like I'll need a super long bit and I'll have to hold the bass at a crazy angle while drilling, and I don't want to mess this up. So far I've gone slow on this and it's perfect, I'm just a little nervous about this one thing.

Also any comments on nickel for the nut are welcome, too.

Hopefully this will sound as kickass as it looks.....
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You should get a long bit, for starters. I use one that is about 12" long, I think 3/16" diameter.

I clamp a block down on the body. I drill in, at an angle, where the block meets the body. It takes some care to put the block in the right place and to get the right angle, but if you lay things out in your head (or on paper) beforehand, you'll have no problems.
  3. Aha. A very good idea. Thanks much! I had visions of crazy fixturing and gouging of the body. Wish me luck.
  4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I know this is not going to help you this time but...personally I rout and drill channels before glueing body halves:

The long routing carries neck pickup wire through the bridge pickup cavity. The hole at the end of the routing goes through the control cavity.

The two holes facing each other are for ground wire. The one on the same half of the routing extends in the control cavity. The other one provides a channel for wires coming from the individual ABM bridges I use.

Now, about your bass...what Matt says is just fine. I did it a coupel of times without any wooden block but it can be a bit tricky :D

Peace, JP