1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Almost done...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr_Funkdamental, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Ashdown MAG 210T and MAG 115

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Ampeg B115E and SVT 210HE

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Genz Benz NEOX 212T

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  1. Well Ive begun getting my early Christmas started (also known as 'welcome home from Bagdad' gear) :hyper: lol. Ive pretty much got everything handled. Got a nice shiny new Stingray 5 ordered, and I got a ashdown 300H. Now Im down to cabinet choice and Im stuck with decisions (thanks to yall lol). Maybe yall can help me decide what might work best to finish my setup. I got about $800 to work with, not that I want to spend all that if I dont have to lol. Ive kinda narrowed it down to these:

2. Narrowed it down to what?

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Re-posting and expanding upon what I said in your other thread:

What are you looking for out of your gear? How did you decide on these three cabs? What sound are you going for? What gear have you played in the past and liked or hated?

Cab/amp selection is a pretty personal thing so it's best to give as much info as you can... for instance, I'm looking for lightweight and good clear tone. I'm never buying another cab over 50 lbs because I live in the city and don't have a car. As far as amps, I tend more towards GK, Hartke, Eden end of things than the vintage Ampeg tube sound (which Ashdown tries to model a bit in their heads). Just a personal preference... anyway, the more we know about your situation, the more we'll be able to help.

And welcome back :)

4. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    For the single cab, the Genz is loud, and just sounds great. Great pounding lows, mid growl, and smooth highs. I have yet to buy it, but I have used one at a few shows now, and it's just amazing for what you pay.

5. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Welcome home! Thanks for keeping us safe.

The Genz is a great cabinet. You won't be sorry, but if you get it...beware, you may be wanting a Genz head too :)

6. Well lets see, Im a gospel/RnB/jazz player. I play fingerstyle with some slap/pop ever so often. Weight is not too big of an issue and I drive an SUV. I mainly plan on using this for gospel gigs and possibly some night spots. This past yr Ive been on an EBS 350 and EBS 410 setup that I thought was nice. I chose these three mainly because Ive heard alot of good things about them and they fit my budget. Im actually stationed in Germany, and theres not alot of bass friendly stores in my area to try stuff out, so this will be experimental. I just dont have my own gear and Im already getting gigs so Im up for whatever til I find what I really want. Hope that helps.

And thanks for the support. Its always appreciated.

7. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Thanks for the info. There are a ton of good to great cabs out there... it's too bad that you don't have a chance to play as many as you can, that's really the only way to know for sure what's going to work for you. That said, you still need to play something, right?

EBS has a really good reputation. I've never played any of their gear, however, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge. I have played Ashdown, though, which has a more vintage vibe than the EBS stuff you played. It's a matter of picking a cab combo that enhances that in the Ashdown or goes another direction... the Ashdown cabs are voiced to bring out that in the amp while retaining some clarity. My guess is that the Ampegs are similar. I've owned the SVT15e, it's a good cab, has a nice booty to it... definitely nails that creamy Ampeg sound. The Genz will probably be a little more hifi than the others probably with a little more extension on the low end (I'm guessing here because I've only played Genz amps, never tried their cabs).

Another manufacturers that you should consider is Avatar, especially if you're trying to keep the expense reasonable. There are a lot of folks on this board that are fans of Avatar...

8. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Isn't Glockenklang a German manufacturer? They make some pretty neat stuff...