1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

almost hit a deer goin 70mph

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAmTheDood, Sep 26, 2008.

1. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    travelin back from Northern michigan on Sunday ...

Goin down I75 north of West Branch area .. i spent 4 days up in bellair (shanty creek) golfin with buddies..

coming back going 70, saw one deer run out across the highway, slowing down, sho - nuff, 2 more followed .. had to come to almost a complete stop .. skidding the tires .. thank goodness nobody was behind me but someone was beside me and did the same thing ..

i havn't personally hit a deer yet, knock on wood .. but i grew up in the boonies so I know what to look for .. my parents have multiple times as well as my brother and sister, and have been in cars when it's happened.

tip .. when you see a deer run across the road .. STOP .. there's more behind them waiting.

2. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    One time me and my dad were driving and 6 deers ran across the road infront of us and they jumped over our hood and stuff. I would hate to see what the car would look like after hitting one.

3. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I've got an email w/ a 2MB .wmv file of a cops dash cam that is recording while a deer jumped out in front of him. The thing looks like it exploded all over the windshield. It was pretty sickening.

4. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    No roadkill dinner for you!:smug:

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My wife and I narrowly missed an 8 point buck on the highway last winter. I could count the horns at 50 MPH!!

That was scary!

6. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    Yeah, hitting a deer will most definitely ruin your day. Hitting a moose is even worse, though. Almost every time, the people in the car will die, and the moose will get up and walk away. They're like brick walls.

7. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    my family lives so far in the boonies (5 acres, dirt road .. no cable tv, no high speed internet) ... that my brother has setup the last 5 deer hunting seasons in the back corner of their property .. he's repeatedly gotten 2 or 3 within the first week of the season .. we always are well fed during thanksgiving and christmas because of it, lol.

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I "almost" hit a deer every third trip home. Kinda sucks having to go home through a forest.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    My in-laws once were driving in Nova Scotia on a small road through the forest when they came upon a bull moose standing in the road. They stopped, and the moose calmly walked over to their car and dragged an antler across the hood of their new Subaru, putting a big crease in the sheet metal. Then he ambled off into the trees.

My mother-in-law is the very nervous, high-strung type. How she got through this incident I don't know, but I'm sure it wasn't pleasant for my father-in-law. ;)

10. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think that's the moose version of the middle finger. :eek:

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    LOL! Yeah, probably.

12. About two years ago, I missed a deer by a MAXIMUM of 18 inches, going about 75mph. I did the thing you're not supposed to do: swerve, but I missed it. My heart felt like it was going to drop out of my butt after that.

13. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was dropping off a rented straight truck a few years ago after a sound gig and saw what a large deer can do. One of the other trucks in the lot looked like a large tree had fallen on the cab. Turns out that the driver had been going about 85 on a rural highway and nailed a very large buck, which flew up onto the hood and continued on into the cab.

Truck was obviously a total loss and had been towed back. I asked if the other driver was ok, and the lot owner said, "For a carrot, yes." :eek::eek:

NOT good.

14. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    I would argue that it was the speed that was the problem, not the deer. For which the driver is fully responsible.

Speed kills! And so does stupidity...

15. I hit an antelope a couple of years ago at 65 mph. I have the insurance pictures of my car somewhere. Maybe I'll go look for them.

16. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    pffft deer, in Newfoundland we look out for these:

moose1.

things get totaled when they collide with cars

17. I hit a deer at about 50 mph once. I drive a Chevrolet TrailBlazer. About $3900 worth of damage.

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Please keep the 5th-grade comments about Jack and horses out of this thread. Next time, there will be infractions for everybody.

19. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    and the moose will walk away. :eek:

my dad has hit some deer with his work truck before he retired he also hit a honda civic who pulled out infront of him once, from what I saw the deer did more damage, and left deer crap sprayed on the side.

20. Moose are ugly....