Almost NBD - warning online retailer content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ash Jazz, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Hi all,

My enthusiasm for my new bass, an Ibanez SR1345b, is getting replaced with frustration. Maybe I'm being impatient but the web site specifically said in stock, same day shipping on most orders placed before 3pm and if not guaranteed to ship within 24 hours. I placed the order at 5am Wednesday morning.

Its my fault for waiting until the last minute but I was counting on using it Tuesday evening. I am going on day 3 with no change in the order status, "processing". I called, the lady was nice, apologized for the delay but couldn't tell me anything definitive about it.

Tomorrow I am calling and canceling the order.

I don't know what's up with Sweetwater but they are out of stock of just about everything.

Niether local GC or SA have one in stock.

Zzsounds supposedly has it in stock and guarantees 2 day free delivery. I think I'll try to go that way. Tough luck MF, I was looking at a Mesa rig too.

Maybe I am being too impatient but I feel lied to. That's the part that bothers me. Don't make promises you can't keep and if something happens, tell me, I shouldn't have to come looking for you for an explanation.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  2. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    Most of these websites state the general standard. Even in normal times there is a chance that something could delay your order. I had a bass where they were checking it before shipping and noticed an issue so had to get another from the manufacturer.

These are not normal times so delays are more likely. I’d suggest waiting if the customer service is responding and willing to keep you up to date. If the bass is out of stock at multiple retailers there is a decent chance that Zzounds will be delayed as well.

But its up to you. I had a 6 week delay on my new car on an expected 12 week wait so I understand your frustration.

GregC, wmmj, Dominic D and 8 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    In this "new normal" distributors should quit making the promises none of them can keep. I'll grant you that.

That said, for this "new normal", yes, you're too impatient.

Also, don't be surprised if Zzsounds doesn't have it either. And if they do, they're likely so short-handed (like everybody else) that they won't be able to process/ship it in two days.

After a while you'll run out of companies to boycott. :cool:

kodiakblair, cb56, bdplaid and 44 others like this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Just chill out, everything is screwed up in the supply chain. We just got used to an incredibly rapid delivery system that didnt exist for most of my life and may not exist again for a while. If its a great bass, its worth the wait........

icefly, GregC, GodsLove66 and 28 others like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    One reason I buy from the best...Reverb.
    I'm betting there are a few on there right now.
    Just bought this yesterday and it arrives tomorrow.
    BOSS WAZA-AIR-B Wireless Personal Bass Amplification System
    e6w5slre8yebsuigw11y.jpg

6. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    Yeppers. I just received yesterday a bass neck I ordered 8 days ago, from inly about 400 miles away. Thanks winter weather and everything else. I'm choosing not to be upset by this stuff that I can't control any more. Life is much happier for me!

Best of luck in your search and satisfaction!

7. Thanks everyone,

Yah, these are strange times and I am anxious to receive it and therefore getting impatient.

On the other hand they should change thier web site and remove promises they can no longer keep. It's just not right to sell you on false expectations.

8. It does suck. It's not just supply chain, depending on where you are a lot of people are out sick with omicron too. So businesses are even more short staffed.

It's a sweet bass and I hope you get it one way or another!

GodsLove66, wmmj, CTW68 and 3 others like this.
  9. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I buy from zzounds all the time. It takes more than 2 days though, but it'll be there quick, without a problem. Also, if there happens to be a problem they take care of it promptly. If there isnt a problem, and you just dont like it, you have a 45 day trial period where you just pay shipping, and send it back. No hassle at all.

SirMjac28 and Ash Jazz like this.
  10. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    9A8C0282-0EC8-4274-B487-4B35C5A923E3.jpeg

kodiakblair, heb9_28, icefly and 51 others like this.
  11. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    It’s very simple , the bass is very likely AT the warehouse , just not in the location it’s supposed to be therefore they can’t find it. This is a relatively common scenario. And yes , they guys at the warehouse will look for the item in “the usual “ areas (overflow/returns/holds), but it’s their job to continue with the flow of material , not to stop the warehouse and look for your bass. This could have happened at any time , it’s nothing to do with covid or being understaffed or whatever. This happens all the time, basically.

wmmj, tbz and Ash Jazz like this.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Had a lady apologize for slow checkout the other day. I told her being open theses days is commendable.
    I have not been anywhere in the last few weeks that had anywhere near the usual staff you’d expect to see.

lomo, SirMjac28, Ash Jazz and 2 others like this.
  13. Just to clarify.... you said you ordered it Wednesday morning...... and today is Thursday....... so how is that 3 days. Seems like 1 day to me, so yes, you're being VERY impatient. I get it, once I've ordered something, I want it now too, and I also get that you have a deadline, but seriously, take a deep breath and relax. It'll all work out.

sardocs, Dominic D, MDBass and 6 others like this.
  14. halcyo

halcyo

Sep 19, 2012
    I order from Zzounds often, and have always had pretty prompt shipping times. Not quite as fast as Sweetwater, but that could be that SW is only one state away from me (Ft Wayne IN to Cincinnati OH).

Captain Chaos, SirMjac28 and Ash Jazz like this.
  15. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Man, I hate when that happens, but it could be any number of reasons. Stock-out, short staff, quality issue/damage found. I think “the times we live in” do warrant a bit of extra patience and civility.

SW has been pretty reliable, in terms of shipping the same day, for me, over many, many bass orders.

The unfortunate part is that you called and couldn’t get “a definitive answer” to whatever question was asked.

That’s a shared responsibility between customer and customer service rep. If it’s important enough for me to call, I’m not ending the call without having a definitive answer, or canceling the order. Ask definitive questions and you’ll likely get a definitive answer. If not, ask for another person to speak with.

And I’m OK with an answer of “We screwed up and it’s going out tomorrow”. poopie happens, I get it. Just don’t leave me wondering.

16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Gotta say, I find myself shopping on Reverb more often these days, as my usual go-to online retailers don't seem to have ANYTHING in stock I look out for.

Right now, strings seem to be in short supply. It's take it or leave it...

tbz, Goatrope, jd56hawk and 1 other person like this.
  17. jeffb28451

jeffb28451

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    All the "short staff", "supply chain", yes, I GET IT, just dont tell me it's in stock and promise a "ship by" time or make promises about when YOU will do something, which implies if not assures that you have some control over certain actions, if you can't do it.

I can't do that on my job, it could be called "fraud".

Just be up front, for God's sake, and don't commit to that which you can't deliver. If you're short staffed, say so in the ad, don't promise actions that you cannot take. Is that too much to ask, or does the "new normal" include being lied to?

18. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Call back and politely demand an answer. Refuse to hang up until you have it.

There’s a chance it shipped and missed a scan or update.

Sweetwater has always given me an answer, and if they couldn’t right then they made sure they had my contact info and always got back to me.

Seems like you may have talked to a receptionist who should have transferred you up the chain.

TheReceder, One Way and Goatrope like this.
  19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I shouldn't even look...at least half a dozen basses I want there!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Nashrakh likes this.
  20. steelbed45

steelbed45 34 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Even if the bass was in stock, the transit part now requires some attention.

I recently ordered a bass from Sweetwater that was in stock. 5 years ago? Forget about it, it was going to be on my porch in two days. Now? It went from Indiana to Ohio, then sat for two days, then eventually started winding it's way down. 8 days in transit.

I've tempered my expectations. I hope you get your answer or find a retailer that can fill the order.

tbz and Ostie like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022