Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Almost new Custom Dingwall Afterburner 4 sale (4 string)

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by martens-koop, Sep 16, 2003.

1. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    I’m selling my custom Dingwall Afterburner 4T. Specs as follows:

figured Walnut Body
    AAAA Flame Maple top
    FD1 pickups
    18 volt Aguilar OBP1 bass treble boost preamp
    bluEQube mid contour (controlled by toggle switch)
    active/passive switch on volume knob
    scale length 34”(G) - 36.25”(E)
    Superhard clear polyester finish –in immaculate condition
    Gator Case (zipper hard case) included
    Brand new strings on the bass (strings never played)
    1 set of new replacement strings incl.

This bass would retail at $2558 US, and I’m asking for $1800 US plus shipping.

This bass is less than 9 months old and I’ve played it at church about 7 times. I’ve been working part time for Sheldon Dingwall, and this bass was supposed to be just a plain solid color 4 string to hold me over until we built my 5 string. As we selected wood for this bass, we saw two pieces of walnut with some really fabulous grain and could not resist!! With the dark walnut for the body it seemed like a sin not to put a flame maple top on it… By that time it had gone so far away from being a simple simple 4 string that putting the OBP1 preamp on was really just a given!!! The only reason that this bass exists is because I’m a Dingwall employee. There will never be another one like it (as it’s virtually impossible to make custom work on an Afterburner profitable. –engineering time, retooling, shop time, lost time on other projects, etc. All of the sudden putting a hundred dollar part on an instrument becomes a $500 job and if you do enough of this then the instrument will cost as much as a warrior boutique bass!! That’s why ***in my opinion*** most production basses have very few options… )

This is by far the best bass I’ve ever owned, or played. The E is to die for… its as snappy and resonant as the A on many other basses. The Novax Fanned fret system takes about 2 minutes to get the hang of. The neck is straight as a pin, and the finish makes the body look like it is “dipped in glass” the photo’s do not do it justice! I need to sell it because we are ready to begin my 5 string. Even though it has not seen much use (church music) I will really miss this instrument. I will also miss the comments that people made after church about the bass (old people thought it was very nice, and the younger kids thought it was pretty wild) but hopefully my new bass will draw some comments as well!!! (it will be heavily inspired by the Geoff St. Germaine prima 6.)

For more info about dingwall stuff, check out posts here, or go to the dingwall website…
    (moderators note: I’m not trying to advertise the company, just trying to sell my bass… feel free to edit this posting to remove any commercial content…..)

Thanks for your interest!!! If the photo’s are too dark, email me and I’ll brighten them up and send them to you directly!!!
    JMK hmm... not really sure how to upload pictures... oh well, I'll give it my best!!!
    email me and we'll talk!

martens-koop@shaw.ca

2. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    here's another picture.. wish I new how to include the photo in the message body!!!

jmk

3. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    here's another picture.. wish I new how to include the photo in the message body!!!

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    here ya go..if its hosted on a site just copy the pics location and put it in the IMG button above this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

steve

5. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    just for anyone checking back, I've lowered my asking price to $1800.

jmk

6. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    I moved the bass to ebay today. if you want you can search ebay for dingwall. fairly low reserve.

jmk

7. That is the nicest afterburner I have seen. The walnut body is killer. Care to give a hint on the specs of the new one? (you can pm me if you want). Too bad I don't really like the feel of a 4 string.

Geoff

8. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    just started a new thread on the new prima.... I'll get some pix up as soon as there is something to see... (construction should start in the next month or two... -hoping to get it for february... -have a youth church retreat gig lined up!!! mmm -40 degrees bass playing.

take care... jmk

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's one beautiful instrumnt.

10. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    thanks for the comments... its amazing how fast it got away on me... it was supposed to be just an el cheapo solid color 4 string... but then we changed this, added that, tweaked this, and before I knew it I ended up with something that had snowballed into the nicest bass I've ever played!!!! (my next one will be nicer though!!!)

jmk