1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Almost ready for my first Fender but need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by speedofmutation, Nov 12, 2006.

1. speedofmutation

speedofmutation

Jul 28, 2006
    Australia
    hey guys, ive been looking at the MIJ's pictured below which are all the same price.

Aside from the smaller nut width on the PB70-78, and the maple fretboard on the PB57-78, they seem the same, so im hoping some more experienced folks can help answer my Qs:

1. how would the tone vary between the different models (they all say vintage usa pickups but i assume they dont all sound the same?)

2. would the necks have different finishes? i read somewhere the PB70-78 has a thick shiny coating but i've not heard anything about the others.

3. would you recommend a different MIJ fender? this will be my first fender purchase so im more than happy to get some advice!

thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hopefully I can help some. First of all, IMO you could play five basses of the same exact model and you'll probably notice some differences in tone. It's my personal belief that this is common to the majority of basses out there, regardless of brand.

Neck Widths
    It looks to me that the PB62 & PB57 models have a nut width of 1 3/4", if I'm converting milimeters to inches correctly.:D This is considered by many (myself included) as the "classic" P-Bass neck. Fender used to refer to it as a "C" width neck. It's wider at the nut, yet it's relatively thin feeling from front to back.

I'm thinking that the PB70's nut width is 1 5/8". Fender refers to this as a "B" width neck. If you've played any MIA Fender P-basses or an EB/MM StingRay, you've felt a neck with similar dimensions to the PB70's.

The older Fender's had nitro-finished necks, I'm not sure if the CIJ basses feature nitro-finished necks, but I'm sure someone here will know. Many people love the feel of a nitro-finished neck; it feels sticky to me and I used to have it removed and "refinished" with tung oil for a smoother fell. But YMMV.

The PB70 & PB62 have rosewood fingerboards, whereas the PB57 sports a maple fingerboard. Only you can decide which fingerboard type that you like better.

They all appear to use the same pickups and hardware. To me, it looks like the hardware Fender used for many years. IMO it's good stuff.

IMO I don't think you can go wrong with any of these basses.

Now that I'm done blabbing, I'm going to look at the price conversion sheet. The PB57 brings back memories of a fantastic P-Bass that I used to own.:cool:

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    They're P-basses from three different decades...unlike Js, the Precision bass hasn't changed too drastically from the time the split coil pickups were introduced until now. There are changes in the bodies and neck sizes/shapes that would be noticeable, though.
    -Alex

4. speedofmutation

speedofmutation

Jul 28, 2006
    Australia
    thanks for the repsonses :) since i'd be getting the white (olympic or vintage) i prefer the darker rosewood fretboard, and if they'll sound basically the same i guess the only way to seperate and decide between the PB70 and PB62 is the width and finish of the necks.

Would these hold their own against a highway 1? Thats my only other decision since I could get one of those locally at a comparable price all up.

5. speedofmutation

speedofmutation

Jul 28, 2006
    Australia
    actually i was wrong, the highway 1 would work out a few hundred dollars dearer and im not sure if its worth the extra cash so i'll go with the MIJ. Hopefully its a good choice.