1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Almost Warmoth decision time, need suggestions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Surf Green with pickguard

47 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Surf green no pickguard

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Natural Swamp Ash no pickguard

31 vote(s)
    33.7%
  1. I know how much the internet loves opinions, so now I need yours. Bonuses are coming up at work soon, and my Christmas gift to myself this year is a new Warmoth build. I'm definitely doing a Jazz bass, and I've already got the neck, tuners, bridge, knobs, and pots. I've decided on Kent Armstrong lipsticks, but I can't decide on the body.

I've always wanted a surf green Jazz. Love the color, love how it looks against chrome hardware, and really love how it looks with a maple neck (which is what I have.) HOWEVER, I also already have a natural swamp ash Precision, which is my baby, and would really dig having a one-piece Jazz to match her, so I'm considering a rear-routed, one-piece Jazz body with no pickguard as my other option. Both options will end up costing near as makes no difference $300.00.

56 chevy with all the chrome bits and flashy 'guard, or stripped-down natural beauty? HELP!

EDIT-Now with poll!

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Definitely Surf Green, sans pickguard. Warmoth does wonderful work.

3. Yeah, my Precision is a Warmoth, and the 90's Jazz neck I used for it actually fits better in the Warmoth's pocket than it did in the original MIM body. Got rid of three other basses when I built it, they were totally unnecessary.

Didn't consider surf green with no guard. You just added an option.

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    you should add a poll!

btw, i'm voting natural as I'm not a huge surf green fan.

5. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    surf green, brown perloid pg and gold hardware.

6. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    surf green with white guard would look nice :)

7. Bumped for poll.

Also, no hardware suggestions necessary, I already have the hardware I'm using.

8. Surf green, tort guard. Great look on a j.

9. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    +1. Especially with a maple neck! :hyper:

10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Surf green, no pick guard, rear route. Less is more…………….much, much more. Throw in a matching headstock and you're into transcendent territory.

Good luck with the build. Absolutely thrilled with my Warmoth project.

11. I vote Surf no guard. I just think no-guard Jazzes are a nice look.

12. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Surf Green with guard, either vintage pearl or tort.

13. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My vote is for the matching pair, but Surf Green is also very cool. Should be a great bass either way!

14. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    What's the fingerboard? If maple, I'd go with natural ash. If Rosewood, I'd go with the surf green with a white or mother of toilet seat pickguard

15. garak7

garak7 Irritating the Neighbors Since 1964 Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I have Warmoth parts on the way to me right now. Although I ordered a swamp ash body in transparent brown and a maple/rosewood neck, I could easily dig a surf green with a white guard and maple neck. Good luck with yours!

16. Maple fretboard.

17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I like the No Scratch Plate and Surf Green Combo. I can't wait to see Pics.

18. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i love to see the wood .. !

19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I voted Surf Green (actually I like sea foam green even better and people often confuse the two). But of all the pick guards I've seen on sea foam or surf green I like parchment best. There's just something really retro and vintage that the parchment (or cream) pick guard brings to the table.
    Here's a guitar pic with the color combo I like best...
    http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/att...eafoam-green-pickguard-color-change-surfa.jpg

20. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Natural with clear pickguard is Trick while a Tort over Natural looks classy