1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aloha from a newcomer.

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by musicmanof76, Feb 18, 2008.

1. So here's my story. . . I have owned a 1976 musicman stingray for about 10 years now. I love this Bass and have always felt proud to be the owner of a true 76' MM. A few weeks ago I was hanging out at my buddys guitar store and came across a Roscoe Beck IV that was on consignment, but still had the fender tags and factory plastic on the pick guard (truly mint condition). I completely fell in love with this bass and walked out the door with it for about $1000. Never being a fan of fender basses before, I began to think I would like to check out Leo's other basses. That brings me here. So, my question is, what is the quintessential G&L bass I should be looking for? I realize I am going to get differing opinions, but I would like to hear your opinions. Where do I start my search to complete my Leo fender collection?

Mahalo,
    Tom

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    L-2000

3. quintessential?

L-2000

4. Some may say L-1000, but of the current production models it has to be the L-2000. I seriously doubt there will be varying opinions on this one...

5. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    Plus 1 on the L2K.

Larry

6. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Another vote for the L-2000. I have never found anything else that exactly matches the tonal character of the dual MFD humbuckers. Although I now play only the 5-string L-2500s, I am planning on picking up an L-2000, as that is the essential G&L bass.

7. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    I agree with the choice of an L-2000. Tone and playability is great. Do check one out!

8. sal4bass

sal4bass

Feb 3, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Ditto the L-2000 or L-2500. The L-2000 (or L-2500 5 string) is one of the most versatile basses made and can be found in some outstanding finish and neck options. (My personal favorite is gold burst with maple fretboard and narrow #8 neck).

I've owned the L-1000, L-2000, L-2500, and ASAT G&L models. They are very nice basses.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    ASAT! :D

10. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Troll! :p

11. A L-2000 should compliment your MM and RB really well, as it will sound distinctly different.

That RB IV is a helluva bass, aint it? Helluva bass indeed. The feature set is impressive, the asymetrical neck profile is just terrific.

I sorely miss mine, and kick myself daily for letting it go. Knucklehead!

c2a9cc50.

12. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    That's pretty interesting. After some pretty extensive searching I wandered upon a RB IV myself, tried it out and for many weeks that was going to be my Dream Bass. It seemed to be Fender's answer (not to take anything away from Mr. Beck) to the MM. Very attractive indeed. Then as fate would have it, I noticed a Skynyrd tribute band's bass player wielding a G&L L2K! Hmmmmm? Might there be such a beast that can get Gibson Thunderbird like tones as well as trumping a MM and Fender? The answer to that I believe lies within the L2k. Although I'd love to have them all in their true form, after comparing spec.'s, test driving many, and forcing myself to focus on a true dream bass (within my mortal $ means) my choice is the L2K! Now, it's only a matter of time for me.

13. L2K.

I love these things!

14. francisl2500

francisl2500

Jul 19, 2006
    quebec
    +1 for L2k....or if you will go for a 5 string.......a L2.5k (my prefered choice) but both are nice