Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alot of money on a new setup...help me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustklose, Apr 1, 2005.

1. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    ok....heres a question...my mom informed me she would give me 2500$ to spend on a head and cabinets.... :D :D :D
    I was stoked!!!

Well anyways....i need LOUD yes LOUD!!! tell me what to get....haha

my dream setup would be 1 4x10 2 2x12 and 2 1x15

i'm sure thats prolly impossible to do but i just think it would look really really cool...is that possible??? how would i do it???

what should i get...i want at least 700-1500 watts of power....please help me soon

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, the first thing I think of, cab-wise, when you say that would be Schroeder. Those cabs are ridiculously loud for their size, and sound great to boot!

With that budget, assuming that you picked up one of Jorg's larger cabs (I like the 21012), you'd have enough left over for a Crest CA9 (my favorite SS amp - though very heavy) and the preamp of your choice (see basstasters).

Tom.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

http://www.philjonesbass.com/PRODUCTS/AMP/T-500.htm

This should do if you want to squeeze a few extra bucks outta Mom.

4. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    power amps...do they upgrade howmany watts i put out? and pre amp of my choosing.....what do u recomend

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    First, I want know how you got your mom to give you $2,500 for a rig.

Second, slow down. You need to do some looking, reading and trying before you get anything.

Third, bigger isn't always better. Many players I know are going to SMALLER rigs. With that kind of money, you can get a very high quality preamp, power amp and cab.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Your preamp takes the signal coming out of your bass, usually allows for some tone-shaping, and amplifies it to a level that is appropriate for the input of a "power amp", or perhaps, headphones. It is a low level form of amplification, and it also changes the impedance (resistance) of your signal such that it is more "amplifier friendly." Some basses with active electronics (on-board preamps) may work plugged directly into some power amps (the ones that don't need a super-robust signal being sent to them), but in most cases, you will want a seperate preamp. A head, like the Mesa Boogie Walkabout, iAMP 800, or SVT, basically is a preamp and a power amp in one integrated package. Most "rack systems" seperate the preamp from the power amp, much like home audiophile "seperates" systems.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, they do. As for a preamp, what kind of music do you like?

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Since everyone is giving you different advise here I figured I'd give a clean shot.

Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 ------- ~1300
    Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 4x10 -- ~700
    Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1x15 -- ~600
    SBR Roller-X 4u Rack Case ------ ~50 used
    Furman Power Conditioner ------ ~20 used
    Rack turner or effects of your choice.

Should be right around $2500 maybe a tad more with the rack, and power conditioner, buy used for those.

Another thing, if you buy everything from a place like Guitar Center even though Mesa can't be discounted they could probably throw in the SKB rack, the power conditioner, and maybe if you're lucky the effects or tuner.

Yes this is my dream rig shhh, no one bad mouth it :bassist:

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Not a bad suggestion. Here is another potential configuration:

Eden Navigator preamp
    Crest CA9 power amp
    4-6 space rack of your choosing
    Furman power conditioner of your choosing
    Schroeder 21012

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point. My thoughts were to provide some starting point from which to begin shaping his end goal, but you are absolutely right. Sorry.

Tom.

11. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Meas Boogie 400+ (that would be my preference) or M-Pulse 600 (good aswell).
    Aguilar GS412.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go crazy.

Lucky bastard. :p

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good points all around. And as I feel this to be a "supportive" community, it really is nice to be able to pass along some "life lessons" when and where appropriate.

Now, having someone just tell you that you can spend $2,500 on a bass rig is, I must admit, a very exciting thing! The cool thing is, you can certainly get a great rig for that money (or even for far less). So, after thanking your Mom in an appropriate fashion, spend some time thinking about your needs, desires, etc., and delve deep into the collective mind of TalkBass.com!

And remember, at some point in time, we all didn't know exactly what a preamp was, and you have to learn somewhere! I, for one, will help as best I can!

Take care, Tom.

13. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    $2500 could be fairly equally spread about on Bass + Amp and you'd end up with a good setup. I think it'd kinda stink to be playing through a $2.5k setup with a scruddy bass all the time.

Unless, of course, you have a separate budget for the instrument.

p.

14. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Yeah what he said, get prepared to be drowned a wealth of knowledge that will both enlighten and consume you.

But it comes at a price. You will sooner or later be stricken with the worst disease mankind has ever seen after you browse these forums...

GAS! *dramatic music*

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what smash said

slow the heck down and figure out what it is you want to do.

smaller and portable is definite;y better most of the time, although if you're young and energetic one big can might float your boat. in any event, you dont need 1/2 of what you're describing in terms of cabinets alone. a quality high powered head or preamp/poweramp combination and one or two quality cabinets should keep you happy for a long long time. with that kind of budget you should definitly do a lot of homework and try a ton of stuff to see what you like. dont give into temptation to buy one of the 1st cool rigs you try, you'll probably regret it (perhaps for years).

one idea would be for you to settle on the head you want and get one good smaller cabinet to use with it, save some cash for the next cabinet, and settle down for a while.

I use a demeter/stewart rig and 90% of my gigs are handled by that and a bag end 1x15 and i play LOUD. for other gigs i bring more cabs. that's not to say you should get what i use, just to give you an example that once you decide what you like, you don't need a skyscraper to gig with.

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    One more thing to consider when researching what amp you want is to think through how you may want to expand in the future. When I was around 18 my mom told me to get whatever amp I wanted on her dime, so I got an SWR SM-400s. It was a huge step up from where I was, but ultimately not quite enough power for the kind of music I play. If I had gone with an SM-900 instead, I'd probably still be playing it!

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think you would need a few more watts to drive all those cabs. On a serious note, I understand that for some of us a cool looking rig is important, and in certain situations the "wall of speakers" gets it done visually. From a "sound only" standpoint very, VERY few bassists have a need for more than 8-10's or 4x10 & 1x15, there are other combinations, these are just examples.
    A good 4x10 cab properly powered gets pretty dang loud, and 2 really good 4x10's and the right amp, cranked-up? Forget about it! You'll be lucky if you can still have kids later in life, let alone hear if you stand in front of that for too long. The difference between a really good cabinet, and an o.k. cabinet is AMAZING. Think quality here, not quantity..
    Tell us what the other players in your band are using and the kind of rooms/gigs you'll be playing.

....p.s. Usually when you see a huge wall Marshall cabs on stage, some of them aren't even hooked-up, in my opinion "dummy speakers" are not cool..

18. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Why $2500? why not $3000? or how about $50? This sounds odd to me....put the money in an IRA and learn to play. It aint the gear its the chops. 700 watts? 1000watts? Why? Are we opening for Slayer? :eyebrow:

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    True...I've been playing bass for 16 years and my biggest amp has been 350 watts. But then I'm not opening for Slayer or Mötörhead.

Many of us mistake new gear for new skills, and I'm as guilty as the next guy. The next time I go to spend 1000$ on a new bass, please remind me to spend it on lessons instead.

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    You can get a fantastic amp for far less than $2500.00. If you buy used, you could also buy another bass -if necessary. With the money you have left, buy your mom something nice for Mother's Day :) .

Take your bass and try as many different amps that you possibly can. Don't be afraid to mix and match brand names. I used a G-K 2000RB head with an SWR Goliath III, a Goliath SR, and an Eden D410XLT for quite a few years with great results.

There are a lot of knowledgeable members here to learn from, but you're really going to have to hear things for yourself to find the amp setup that will best suit your needs. But be patient. If you do a lot of research and test drive a lot of amps, you'll be able to buy an amp that you'll be happy with for many, many years.

About the only pieces of advice I can give you is if you choose solid state power, bass guitar requires a lot of wattage. Find an amp head or power amp that can push at least 400 watts into an 8 Ohm load. I'd also rather have two 2-10" cabs than one 4-10", (or two 1-15" cabs than one 2-15" cab, etc.) IMO it's much easier to transport a modular setup. You can't always rely on bandmates or friends to help you move your gear.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

- Art