1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Alpha Distribution Announces the Return of the Mighty Sea-moon Funk Machine

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Mar 18, 2020.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Alpha Distribution is proud to announce the return of the mighty Sea- moon Funk Machine: the effect pedal that launched countless funk & soul hits. Equally at home with guitar, bass and horns, the Sea- moon Funk Machine provides a chromatic wonder- land of envelope filter fun-with a few added surprises.

Iconic NY session musician and one of the most recorded bass players in history, Neil Jason, founded the company after numerous searches to replicate that legendary tone fell short.

“The original Funk Machine was a vital component of my tone for years. I needed something more compact and durable for the studio and the road.”
    Enter designer/builder and international pedal guru Ben Fulton, “After extended discussions with Neil, it was apparent this was not going to be a particularly easy task, but something that would absolutely be one of the most rewarding endeavors of my career. It had to be analog and it had to be exceptionally responsive.
    And we did it!”​

Shipping February 21st, 2020 MAP $199.00

Front Right Angle.jpg

All Analog Envelope Filter w/ Sub Harmonic Featuring:

o Blend Control
    o Frequency Control o Depth Control
    o Volume
    o Great Paint Job!

Neil Jason

With over 500 album credits including such artists as Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Mick Jagger, Dire Straits, Eddie Van Halen, Luciano Pavarotti, Keith Richards, Celine Dion, David Sanborn, David Letterman, Debbie Harry, Hall & Oates, Saturday Night Live, The Brecker Brothers, Diana Ross, Kiss, Cyndi Lauper, John Mclaughlin, Gladys Knight & Bryan Ferry, Neil Jason knows a bit about what it takes to get the job done at the highest possible level.

Bringing his vast experience of music, sound and production to Seamoon FX, Neil’s first mission was to recreate the legendary Funk Machine used on countless albums and soundtracks. “Basically, I needed ‘That Sound’ that only the Funk Machine had. Having gone through several attempts to recreate the magic box that was the Funk Machine but consistently coming up short, I was pretty much resolved to calling it a day and letting the Funk Machine be a great memory of another time.”

“That’s when Jack Thompson of Alpha Distribution put me in touch with Ben Fulton. Ben immediately ‘got’ what we were trying to do and came up with a spectacular prototype. After some back and forth we created what you see before you today.”

“Without question, this embodies all the best parts of the original Funk Machine in a smaller, more compact and more durable package. A great footprint for the pedalboard where space is at a premium, but the sound has to be great-every time.”

“I am happy to be co-owner of this company and proud to be associated with the people who put so much effort into this project. There will most definitely be more to come, and this is a great way to begin. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as we do!”

Ben Fulton

With 20+ years of pedal design experience Ben Fulton is among the elite builders at the forefront of the boutique pedal revolution.

Essentially, the perfect guy for a project of this magnitude.

“After extended discussions with Neil, it was apparent this was not going to be a particularly easy task, but something that would absolutely be one of the most rewarding endeavors of my career. It had to be analog and it had to be exceptionally responsive. And we did it!”

“I would echo Neil’s sentiments that Seamoon is the beginning of something big and something we are committed to seeing through to its fruition. The passion and dedication from the people who worked tirelessly to bring this to market is at the heart of our company and something we take a great deal of pride in.”

2. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    I had a seamoon clone made years ago.. I call it the FU filter w/dub switch.. I had a boost put it.. To counter the volume drop of the OG. Hopeful you did that. Too..

HG1180 and packhowitzer like this.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    You should have included this video in your news release.

4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    What I love about this pedal is that there is no volume spike like so many other filters...Its more even and I dig that.

Hog Branch Austin and 2tonic like this.
  5. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Still have my original FM from '76.
    Never been equalled.
    Glad a new generation will get to experience it's uniqueness.

6. antfarm

antfarm

Oct 2, 2017
    What's that switch for?

2tonic likes this.
  7. nilorius

nilorius SUSPENDED

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    ?

2tonic likes this.
  8. antfarm

antfarm

Oct 2, 2017
    The upper one of course.

2tonic likes this.
  9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's for the onboard preamp. For me it works better with the preamp on.[switched to the right]

2tonic likes this.
  10. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    It does indeed have a "great paint job"!

Hope to try one someday.

dmt and 2tonic like this.
  11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think it just looks sooo unfortunate.
    Will try it nonetheless as looks don't really come into it for me when deciding on what to buy. What is likely to influence a decision here is how much more useful this might be to me , compared to the filter I already use and like .

2tonic likes this.
  12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I had an original, and loved it.

I am excited to hear this one.

I also am not wild about the appearance, but, realistically, probably wouldn't look at it a lot. ;)

2tonic and cnltb like this.
  13. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Wow, I always wondered what the effect was Neil used on Avalon.

jerry likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm digging the paint job a lot. Reminds me of old Wurlitzer jukeboxes:

71ICQCo8BHL._AC_SY679_.jpg

I'm just not into envelope filter very much and my Digitech Bass Synth Wah has me covered, plain and green as it is.

dmt, 74hc, joe vegas and 4 others like this.
  15. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Does anyone know if these have true-bypass? (I'm currently using an Aguilar Filter Twin and it adds some gain when not in use.)

16. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I contacted Neil and he confirmed that it is indeed a true-bypass circuit.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020 at 5:18 PM
    dmt and StayLow like this.
  17. Anyone know where one can buy these in Europe? More specifically, Germany?

18. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
  19. Thanks.

That’s a no go for me. I‘d have to pay customs and import taxes. Returning it if I don’t like it would be a hassle, and the customs/taxes paid would be lost.

kobass likes this.