1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available Alpher Mako Elite 5 - Prototype Passive - Aguilar pups

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by DaymonJ11, Jan 6, 2018.

1. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11 Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Price:
    $2500
    Strings:
    Well, it’s one of my favorite basses I’ve ever owned, but, I’ve upgraded to a 6 from Alpher, so, this one goes, hopefully, before the new one gets here!

This is a Mako Elite 5 from Alpher, and it is absolutely exquisite! The craftsmanship here, is second to absolutely none. When I hear that term, “craftsmanship”, I think of MTD, Alembic, Wyn, Thompson and Elrick, among others. And this bass is in that conversation. As a Thompson owner myself, I feel like I have a good basis of comparison, and this bass is right there with those makes, and I may say better than some of them.

The specs are:
    • Heavy Alder Body
    • Wenge Laminate Tone Layer
    • Spalted Maple Top
    • One piece handcarved Pau Ferro neck these aren’t cnc created. These are completely hand carved, one by one.
    • Ziricote Heartwood fingerboard (which is different, both in looks and sonically, than the highly figured and erratic grained sapwood many are used to seeing)
    • Aguilar Custom spec Passive pickups
    • Hipshot ultralight tuners
    • Hipshot bridge
    • 19mm spacing
    • 34.5” scale
    • Elixir strings 45-130
    • 9.6lbs
    Where this bass really shines, in my opinion, is it’s playability! The neck is very finely completed and it balances very nicely. No neck dive.

The tone is also really nice. Personally, I prefer the passive sound to active in most settings. And as a passive bass, it really delivers the goods! Sonically, this is a beast with a dynamic range of tonal capabilities, even passive. Low lows and nice highs. Easy to get that scooped mid sound if desired.

I play a Blueman Vintage 67’ eldorado with Flying Mojo pickups, and this bass with its wood combination and Aguilar pups, puts out Tone very similar to that, but with added range. It’s really quite impressive! Whatever your project, you’re probably going to be able to dial in what you need with this one.

Speaking of it’s passive nature, this was the prototype for the Mako Elite 5 passive model. They now produce this regularly, but, this was the first!

The bass is pristine. In like new condition, with a couple of small surface scratches. It’s in great shape!

New, these start - for the entry level line, at about $2750. Then the Prime line starts at about $3100 and the Elite line starts at about $3400 and Its sky’s the limit from there. I won’t give numbers, but I can tell you, this was WAY more than what I’m asking, when it was brand new.

If you have any questions, let me know. These are pics from the day it shipped new. I decided to use these, as they’re well lit and really show the grains better than I could capture here. If you want something more specific, let me know! Buyer pays shipping costs.

I am open to trades, and I have trade value at $2750.

Attached Files:

emjazz likes this.
  2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    These basses are awesome. There is a local Alpher dealer to me, and I played one (it may have been this exact bass. it looks very similar), and it just sounds and plays incredible. Someone is going to love this bass!

DaymonJ11 likes this.
  3. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11 Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah, these basses are unreal. That’s why I ordered a 6 from them. If I’m being honest, they’re possibly the best bass, overall, I’ve ever played.

I love how effortlessly and enjoyable it is to play. The neck....sweet mother it’s good!