1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alphonse Mouzon RIP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Alphonse Mouzon, a drummer on a number of fusion projects, has passed away at 68.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Wow, such an awesome drummer!
    Fly on Alphonse.............................................................

3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Nooooo!
    Looks like I'll have to listen to Mind Transplant all day today. Just terrible news. RIP Alphonse

rapidfirerob and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Bummer. He played on a crap-ton of seminal records that I loved in my formative years.

5. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

More sadness in a year filled with it. RIP Alphonse Mouzon.

NigelD likes this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    He was supposed to play in Montreal this summer with his project but cancelled.

7. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Wore the grooves out on this LP
    81aF%2Bye6ntL._SL1500_.
    814yh1F6rCL._SL1500_.

Les Ismoor, JimK, nbsipics and 2 others like this.
  8. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mar 5, 2009
    Rest in peace, good sir...

9. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    NO!!! I am changing my icon. What a @#$#-ed year! And the year ain't over!

While I did not love his later "smooth jazz" directions, when I heard him with Larry C ( live or otherwise ) I really gained an appreciation for his talent. And that album, and the few before it with 11th House, were life-setting albums for me.

RIP A.M. - and have a good party up there!

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Love his playing.

...check him out in the house band on That Thing You Do! (Jazz club scene).

RIP.

11. Saw him at a little club in Tucson AZ in the mid 70's. Sat no more than 5 feet from him while he played percussions.
    I had never heard of him before that but was assured I'd enjoy it. My girlfriend at the time was into that "Jazzy-progression" stuff so I tagged along. His playing was very impressive. I'd like to say I was totally enraptured with his performance, but being young at the time I was more interested in when it would end so I could get the girlfriend alone. Yes, I know youth is wasted on the young.
    Thank you Alphonse for bringing joy to our ears and happiness to my long lost GF.