1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alphonso Johnson- Moonshadows

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by StanFan, Jun 7, 2007.

1. If you've heard this album, what do you think of it? I'm really digging the first 2 tracks on it (all I've heard so far). I saw the album at a used CD store and since I've never even seen it before, couldn't turn it down. I'm a fan of his work with Weather Report and with Billy Cobham and George Duke, and this album is sounding pretty cool so far (some musicians of note on it include Lee Ritenour, Ian Underwood, and Alphonse Mouzon).

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had it as an lp years ago. Alphonso Johnson never made a great solo recording, IMO, but all of his stuff had some nice tracks. My favorite Non-Weather Report Alphonso Johnson fusion is the George Duke-Billy Cobham Band. Critics at the time did not like it, but I really loved all of those funky fusion grooves.:cool:

3. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dug the first two Alphonso Johnson albums when they came out, and I still dig them. His sound on fretless those days was all his own, and I love his use of effects. His second album ' Yesterdays Dreams' also has some great music on it.[special mention to the song Scapegoat where Alphonso and Grover Washington dual it out] All his solo stuff was re-released last year on CD, and usually go for under ten bucks.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thank God the cds were just re-issued...I passed on these the first go-round (in the '70s) & had been kickin' myself for not buying them back then.

Another cool album with Alphonso from that era is Eddie Henderson's Sunburst.

5. jerry

Dec 13, 1999

Your responsible for me getting that album years ago Jim, and I'm still very thankful. One of the must-haves in the Alphonso Johnson canon IMHO.

6. Check him out on fretless on Bahama Mama. Too smooth!!!

7. Love that recording!--my old band used to play the track 'On the Case'--although I think next recording Yesterday's Dreams was even better.

And anyone who aspires to be funky should check out Al's grooves on 'Cucumber Slumber' on Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller. There's a bass lesson, or two, right there!

AJ was a huge influence on me.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

No problema, Jerry...you have turned me onto a thing or two. ;)
    (My wallet has become a lot thinner with all your suggestions).

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Nice verion of "Bahama Mama" on the Montreux Summit album.

10. I have both, but that was the one I was referring to. That live version smokes!!!!! I have it on LP and guess I will have to buy another turntable.

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Thats ONE album I wish CBS would give up the rights to, so somebody like Wounded Bird Records can reissue it. Alphonso just kills on it with great solo on 'Blues March'.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Montreux Summit is OOP?
    I guess I lucked out when I picked it up from AI a few years back.
    ...and it stays on the iPod.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021