Alphonso Johnson!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hujo, Jul 19, 2001.

1. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I do hope i'm not the only Alphonso fan on this board, so let's hear it! What are your favorite albums with him on? Any comments on technique, sound, attitude, stuff like that? How about his work with the Chapman stick? I just wanna get a good discussion about this wonderful guy started!

Personally, i really like his work with Jazz is Dead. So melodic, yet groovy. He is always right, it seems. How does he get that fat, slightly crunchy sound? Any thoughts?
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Do a search on Alphonso Johnson and you'll see you're not alone;)

"Yesterday's Dreams"

Lee Ritenour: "Captain Fingers"

early Weather Report, like "Mysterious Traveller"

Worked with George Duke, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Jazz is Dead and a ton of other stuff.

If you haven't been there, check out his website:
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yesterday's dreams is one of my all time favorites. i lucked out and found moonshadows on cd. now if i can find yesterday's dreams on cd i can stop wearing out my vinyl copy.

i liked him a lot more when he had a signature sound to him. whenever i heard that three pickup precision or his fretless and his distictive style on other peoples albums you still knew it was him. now if you listen to an album like tom coster's forbidden zone, you wouldn't really know it was him without reading the liner notes.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I dig Alphonso! He's totally cool, too!
    Tale Spinnin' by Weather Report(w/ Ndgu on drums) is happenin'; so too is The Montreux Summit(nice version of AJ's "Bahama Mama").
    I had forgotten he was on Coster's The Forbidden Zone...a very cool '90s Fusion-esque disc.
    I have been looking everywhere for Moonshadows & Spellbound...last year I did pick up The Collection, a "greatest hits" of those early albums.

AJ began as an ACOUSTIC player, right?
  5. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    The only Alphonso J album I have is a DJ "not for sale" demo version on Moonshadows. Its in pretty bad shape because I played it so much back when I first got it.
  6. Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Sorry, the only thing I own on him is an old Weather Report lp. I dont know much about him, but his playing on that seems melodic and even a little funky.
  7. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    AJ completely and utterly kicks arse! I caught his set at Bass Day LA, and he was just awe-inspiring. And even when pressed to end his set by MI he took a good portion of time to answer questions from the audience. Great guy, great player. And not a bad sequencer programer. :D
  8. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, he seems like a real nice guy. I took a look at his website, where he had a forum. He answered all questions nicely, even the dumb ones.
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  10. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hey, he actually won over the meat! Let's see how long we can keep him there!