Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alphonso Johnsson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Phunky, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    I've first heard him play on Weather Reports "Black Market" and i love "Herandnu" so much. I wonder what else material i should check him out with? Thanks

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    his solo album yesterdays dreams got reissued in france last year. id pick that one up. also pick up the billy cobham/george duke band cd live on tour in europe.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

+1 on the Cobham/Duke live side. I saw that band live...phew!

One of my favorites is Flora Purim's Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly. Has that 70's fusion production values thing going on, love it or hate it!

4. Let's not forget Alan Holdsworth's first solo album in the 70's.
    Velvet Darkness (rough early fusion)
    Great fretless phase shifter and distortion stuff.
    Narada Michael Walden on drums too. :)
    Cobham and Duke and absolute yes.
    I've always enjoyed and respected his use of effects.
    Hello Mr. Passinwind!
    Dirk

5. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    He’s just amazing on the Weather Report Live and Unrealesed album. The way he he use effects like distrotion is so tasteful, just like the rest of his playing.

6. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks guys, will check! But which songs did Alphonso play on on the Live & Unreleased-album?

Thanks

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Freezing Fire
    Cucumber Slumber
    Man In The Green Shirt
    Cigano
    Directions/Dr. Honoris Causa

Note: AJ isn't playing on either "Black Market" or "Elegant People" on Live & Unreleased

Make sure you check out WR's Mysterious Traveler & Tale Spinning.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of that Cobham/Duke Live In Europe disc...I guess I can re-visit it to make sure. ;)

Another live thing is the Montreaux Summit from the mid '70s(All-Star group comprised on various CBS Jazz guys)... has AJ's "Bahama Mama".

AJ was also in Abraxas...mid '90s project with the original members of the Santana III band(minus Carlos & bassist David Brown)...OOP.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Kinda unrelated, but cool none the less.

Alphonso's own Fourm.

He anwsers fairly quick too. I just thought it was cool :D

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I dig Alphonso's solo on Blues March! Some great Alphonso moments on that album. :bassist:

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just want to say, that I am a fan too.

11. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Alphonso is great on Eddie Henderson's “Sunburst" album, I would highly recommend it, especially if you want to hear more of groovin' Alphonso! Great album overall, with a nice lineup too. Definitely one of my favorites.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Good one, Leanne!
    ...I keep forgetting about that one.

Punchin' In-
    2 more Alphonso '90s Fusion discs I always forget about:
    Tom Coster- Let's Set The Record Straight
    Tom Coster- Forbidden Zone

Also, check out AJ on the Rising Low DVD.

13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I once saw a DVD of the Steve Kimock Band with Alphonso laying down the grrrooooove!! Very cool stuff!

14. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Check out Jazz Is Dead - Great Sky River (live).
    Alphonso plays and sounds Great. Jimmy Herring (guitar)
    is a little over the top at times.
    Dan

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    + 2 Opps, I forgot about that one too! It's a good one that Jim K hipped me to a few years back.

16. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I saw Alphonso for the first time in 1974 at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester. It was Weather Reports Mysterious Traveler tour. Alphonso played some great stuff.

Interesting thing was he was using a Phase Linear Power Amp which was a high fidelity power amp. Everyone was using SVTs or Acoustics. No one had really discovered that hi fi was a good idea for bass. He did. I think Phil Lesh was using hi fi amps about the same time but I can't really mention his name in the same breath as Alphonso.

Also, he was the first I guy I remember playing fretless. Of coarse Jaco came along and.....Alphonso who? But he is under rated and under appreciated.

17. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Mysterious Traveler is one of my favorite WR records - definitely worth checking out if you don't have it.

18. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    A definite + 1 on Mysterious Traveller. He is awesome on the title track, and Cucumber Slumber is one my all time favorite bass lines. No one but Al could have made that one. I always thought that his path to become a slick session man was weird and I'm not to fond of that side of his work. Don't get me wrong; Al always plays great but listening to the old Flora Purim and George Duke is like taking a bath into a tub of syrup: it's just to much of the good stuff and it seems impossible to wash off.