Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alright all you 6 string jokers.....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tomtom, Nov 18, 2002.

1. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    go see Steve Coleman's (5 elements) new band if you can... you will be impressed. (2 of the baddest mofos I've ever heard.. and I hate 6 string bass)

2. 6-stringers have good range, they are versatile in that you don't have to change your position nearly as much as with a 4, but they aren't for everyone. In particular, a 6-string fretless would be kinda cool (actually, I would prefer a 5-string fretless with EADGC tuning....cool..)

For some people the necks are unwieldy and the string spacing is a little close. (Yet if you increase spacing you make the neck even wider). For my purposes, 4's and 5's are all I want (I prefer 5's). I still like a good 4 though.

John Turner, for example, needs more than 4 strings. He has heard numerous "Jaco didn't need 7 strings" arguments, mostly from people who fail to see the point. John's music is DIFFERENT, NOT NECESSARILY BETTER THAN WORSE, than Jaco's. John thus has different requirements in a bass. Yes, the 8-string doubleneck looks intimidating, but if you can learn to play it (which is certainly the most difficult part, but John has pulled off), it has much more versatility than a 4. Jaco, on the other hand, simply whooped everyone's @$$ on the 4. :)

On a 5-string, I like a relatively tight 1 3/4'' nut, but 3/4'' bridge spacing. So it would taper a decent amount :D And, unlike Pete McFerrin, I like a thin neck back. :) Sixes are a bit large for me.

3. LOL

Did you have a bad experience with a 6stringer? What did it do to you?

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA

Was one of the bassists Anthony Tidd? I know he has worked with Coleman, but I have only heard his work with Quite Sane (the new album is great, btw.)

Who was the other bassist?

5. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    yeah...Anthony Tidd and another guy, I forget his name. Real nice guy though.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    5 elements rule. You hate six string bass? That's one of the oddest things I've ever heard. It's like hating can openers.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    but, dude, can openers _suck_. :p

:D

8. Originally posted by john turner

but, dude, can openers _suck_.

Except for the newfangled models that will remove the entire top of the can while rounding over the sharp edges. Now that's civilization! ;)

9. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    the only thing about the six string is that a lot of folks just loose the point. I know the lines of the instrument have been blurred..since jaco n friends started redefining things, so it's hard to say what the roll of the bass is these days. I just see a lot of people grabbin for as many notes as possible, completely overlooking "the music".
    I don't hate the things, I just think you can get the job done with 4 ....or maybe 5. It takes a great musician to be able to use those high notes without stepping on anyone's toes.
    I also find that most people play better when they leave their pedals at home

10. uh oh this looks like its going to go the same way the making noises with your bass thread went...
    i think everything in music and bass whether it be the type of instrument, how many strings, whether or not you use pedals, and everything about playing your instrument all has to do with the context of the song and what you enjoy doing. Ive seen people with 6 and 7 string bassest that still only play on the E and A string but i have also seen bands in which the music would just not sound right without the extended range. Same goes with effects. Yes, effects can ruin a song if they are not used properly... but sometimes they can also improve a song greatly. Among everything it should just be about what you like doing. If you dont like extra strings than stick with four (thats what Im doing now). If you dont like effects then dont use them. Music is a form of self expression... dont let anyone tell you whats right or wrong when you create it.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yeah, but where the sense of adventure in that???

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Hey tomtom, man that was inflammatory!

first off don't call me a joker! second, just cause a couple of guys play alot of notes is no reason for you to talk badly about a certain instrument man. I know alot of 4 string players who do the same thing, you gonna hate 4 strings now?:p

And you can get "the job done" with any kind of bass you see fit, a 3 string a 4 or a double neck 7 string! (i don't know who on earth would play a double neck seven though:p) . I could dig a ditch with a spoon, does that mean i should? :D

Don't get jealous of us "jokers" just cause you can't "get the job done" with a sixer!:D :p

all in good fun, but please don't make blanket statements like that...its annoying!

13. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    ok ok ok ok ok...I admit I stepped over the line with the "jokers" thing....seeing as this thread probably ain't gonna die cuz I dug my self into a hole (with my spoon) we might as well try to get back to the point and talk about bassists who inspire us. sorry if i offended anyone.....did anyone remember what this thread was originally about?? Any of ya'll here this music?

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I downloaded a buttload of stuff from there before. Matthew Garrison had a coupld of solos. But I have taken a lot of notes from their grooves. Funky!!!

I bought one of their cds, but it got lost or something. But that is ok, cause I feel I did my part fromt he downloads....

15. lamarjones,
    What is the link for the downloads please? I looked through this thread, have I missed it? Thanks.

16. I hink that 6-strings look bad ass. Nothing is as intimanating as a 6-string. But I haven't played one yet so I can't praise it or diss it. I used to have a 4-string but I just recently upgraded to a 5. I will never look back. I like to tune my bass to ADADG. It offers a good range of low and high notes. Try it.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nothing? not even one of these....

[​IMG]

or one of these...

[​IMG]

i'm shameless.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ahem... I believe this forum is for SIX string basses. :rolleyes: :D

Edit: Next to the top one... is that a wig or a dead animal?

19. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
  20. larmarjones,
    Thanks! I've seen Steve Coleman on a Dave Holland concert video and really dug him. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be into the hip hop elements of his group but I dig his composition methods. I look REAL forward to hearing Matt Garrison's work with him. I know that Matt credits Coleman with HIS composition method.

I appreciate the link(s). Jim T.