Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alright guys give me some advice, please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So i bought my Musicman Sterling 1-2 months ago and im very happy with it. It is a perfect bass for my needs and satisfies everything i need in a 4 string fretted. Ever since ive started bass ive always liked Musicmans and Warwicks. I swore that id own them some day, and i am halfway there. I lately have gotten some GAS for a warwick corvette std fretless 4 string. I owned a fretless essex in the past (was lined) and i liked it for a while but the quality of the neck wasnt excellent so i recently sold it. Ive never owned an unlined fretless but i have played them. I think owning one would help me advance my ear and i definitely think i am competant enough to play one, and of course i will get better on it the more i play it. I need something to change things up a bit, i tihnk having a fretless again would be a good thing for me. My budget is limited, i dont want to spend over $600. I know used corvette fretless's can be had within this price range. Basically i need to talk myself either in or out of looking into getting one of these.

2. Get it. I love mine.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive noticed the prices consistant as well. I would probably get a passive model though, just because they are a lot more common on the used market.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Smash is quite right about what fretless playing can do good or bad to you, depending on the accuracy of the pitches you reach.

Well, I don't know whether you consider music as a simple passion or if you want to become professional, or anything in between, but for me fretless is useless now.

There were times (sooooo far away...) when I was a Jaco mwah addict, but I passed on that. Basically, even if I like playing fretless (I happened to play lined and unlined), I won't get any just because I don't need any regarding to my musical experience. I play in a cover band and we have no song that requires any fretless bass.

So I think it all depends of what music you want/have to play. Unless I accidentelly win millions dollars, I wouldn't buy anything I don't really need. But that's just my personal vision.

Cheers,
    JL

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As far as my interest in music goes, its my source of fun. Im serious about it enough that i do indeed practice everyday and do what i can to make myself a better player. I am not obsessed with it enough that i will study it in college or anything and make it my life. I play in an alternative/funk band with my friends. We are just some teenagers having a good time basically,and creating a rift in the local teen music scene by not playing punk rock/emo stuff. We play originals and i can basically do w/e i want with the basslines. I would be able to use a fretless anytime i wanted , and i could write songs based around a fretless theme as well.

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    do it if you find one. Unlined boards aren't any harder/scarier than lined. In fact I find them easier, I tried a lined one and couldn't intonate cause I kept thinking "behind the fret" and I just found it confusing, no problems on unlined however. If ever the Vette doesn't work out or isn't all it's cracked up to be go for a used Carvin! :p

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Since Corvette Standard freltess come unlined standard, and it's next to impossible to find a lined one, unlined is probably your only choice for that bass anyways. I had a used passive Corvette Standard fretless four-string a couple years back-bought it for $450 with only a ding or two on the headstock.

Bought it to see if I'd like fretless, then sold it because A. it only had four strings, B. it was unlined and I wanted lined, D. it was a tad uncomfortable to play in first position (not nearly as bad as a Thumb, but still more than I liked), and D. it sounded great, but it was pretty limited in the tones I could get from it.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive been hearing from a few reviews that the tones you can get from it are limited. That doesnt bother me much because i dont mess with tone much anyway, i find a tone i like and keep it. I imagine compared to my Sterling itd be similiar in the amount of tone variations that i can get , maybe my Sterling has a little more, bc it DOES have a 3 band eq and 3 coil pickup switch, but only one pickup, so its a compromise.

9. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Consider a Lakland 55-02 fretless. I love mine, and it's the 'cheapest' bass I own. ;) BTW did you dis-own Godins? :confused:

Mark

deManBass

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nope, i still have my Godin.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sorry if this dissapoints anyone, but i decided against buying one of these. I decided i need to get an iPod more. I have no real need for a new bass right now, although i Do need an mp3 player, so priorities win on this one, plus an iPod costs half of what the warwick would.