Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alright, I want to start getting into personal recording a little. Help me out!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ebozzz, May 6, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't really have a need for something that's intended for large projects at this point. This piece of equipment will be used for me to start putting together some basic rhythm tracks and as a learning tool. I would like to stay around the $500.00 or less price range but I would not be opposed to spending a little more if a specific product was a much better deal.

I don't see me doing a lot in a band type setting for a while so that's not an issue. Also, the main person that I exchange ideas and jam with has a Roland VS1824CD. It will probably just be the two of us at the most unless we happen to meet another person that we feel connected to. It would be nice if I had some method of documenting my ideas. It's getting hard on both of our ears with me attempting to sing the harmonies & melodies that I come up with! LOL!

Four of the 'Portable Digital Recording Studios' have caught my eye and they are the:

Boss BR532
    Korg PXR4
    Zoom PS02
    Tascam Pocketstudio 5

The Boss seems to be a favorite in this forum but I also saw that a couple of Fostex models were frequently mentioned. Ease of use is very important to me but I would also like a good amount of useful features. The Boss is at the top of the list right now. Are there any other better options that I should consider? Thanks! ;)

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I bought a Fostex VF-16 (16 track) digital recorded for only $630. I know it is a little over your budget but trust me you get a lot more tracks then any of the other machines you mentioned. I went from an analog 4-tracker to this machine and I felt like I had a lot more freedom. The only problem is that I got mine at www.musiciansfriend.com as a BLEMISH sooooo......The chances of you finding another at that price might be slim but keep you eyes open.

Out of those choices that you posted I would go with the Boss BR.

Good Luck

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the reply John. That price range is not rigid now. I would just prefer to stay in that range. I know that I don't want to pay over $1000.00 so $750.00 would probably be about my max. I'm just starting my search so it will probably be at least a few weeks before I make any decisions. I'm not pressured to buy it so I can afford to wait for the right deal to present itself. I will be checking out that Fostex though. Some other people that I've been in contact with stated that the Tascam 788 was another good option. Does anyone have any experience with that one?

4. Well, you do have a computer... a decent soundcard and some software may be of interest. :) Of course, you are swapping ideas so if he doesn't have a PC this is all a moot point.

Just don't be fooled by the specs on those "budget machines." Get the one that sounds best to you and upgrade as you see fit/need to.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's a thought. I could use another PC anyway. My friend is the only person that I know who has a PC but is not online. I guess I could always put the stuff on a floppy, right?

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Nah, you'd have to use CDRW's or something else with larger capacity. Audio files eats disk space. 12-13 seconds of mono 44.1 kHz 16-bit audio would fill up a floppy.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Then a new PC would be needed as my current one is old and doesn't have a lot of the nicer features. What kind of software options would be nice to look at?

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well first I'd like to point out that hardware is more important than software. But to answer your question, FASoft N-Track Studio is a good and inexpensive multitracking program. Has many features that multi-$100 programs have, but to the fraction of the price - $64 for full registration.
    www.fasoft.com

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm aware that I would need to have good hardware but thanks for for pointing it out anyway. The only thing that I don't like about the PC option is the lack of portability unless I decide to go with a laptop. A laptop would not be as versatile as say a mini-tower when it comes to hardware of course. I'm going to have to think about this one a lot because it appears that I have opened up a can of worms. Well, I'm going into research mode. Thanks for the help everyone.

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I was overwhelmed with the sheer amount of choice. What I did was to work out what I actually wanted to do and at what price without commiting to any format.

questions

How many tracks do I want to record at any given time?

many systems limit to 2 excluding drum kits brass sections and band or part band sessions.

How long will each track be?

Some systems have a limit the Boss BR8 is 2.5 mins at highest quality (unless they have upgraded it)

Will the recordings be mastered and is it worth having that function in the system?

If you already have a CD writer then do you need that option? Some people master to nicam video tape so do you have a nicam recorder lying around?

What stuff do you already have ?

Microphones can be expensive so if you dont already have them then your budget gets stretched.

Hope this helps

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It does Chris. Thanks very much. It's a good thing that I'm not pressed to get anything. I went into this thinking that I would just get something for me to owrk on and the most that I would need is to be able to record two tracks simultaneously. The more I think about it is just makes more sense to get something that I can grow into. I doubt that I'm going to need more than the ability to record on two track for a while. It may just be better to have them just in case something unexpected comes up.