Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alright...I'm calling out all of my fellow D&D nerds

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I know there are at least two others on this board from the board game thread, so I thought I'd kick out a topic on it.

What's your favourite setting? Character? Race, class, spell, item, artifact, skill, feat, edition, etc.?

I'm a huge fan of 3rd edition (I played second for a couple years, way too complicated but I like the sheer amount of content in the player's handbook for it) and I'm a huge fan of using elven thieves. They make for some sweet characters, and I had a really awesome half-elf rogue in a 3rd edition game a couple months ago that had huge points in climb, jump, tumble, etc. -- everything you need for some nice city campaigning.
    Recently I've grown a liking for wizards/sorcerers (especially in the Dragonlance setting), but this is getting really long, and far nerdier than I anticipated.

2. does neverwinter nights count? if so im in...

elven rangers and gnome wizards wewt.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yes. Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate (I and II), Icewind Dale (I and II), etc. etc. all allowed.

Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, however, is not. That was a travesty on gaming.

JFOC likes this.
  4. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've never liked D&D all that much...My favorite games were always Rifts, Vampire, and Mage.

I almost always play a magic user/thief. Who screws over the party. Many times. Last time I played Shadowrun my character got to kill the rest of the entire party, make half a million bucks, and retire from the game in one night. That was great. :D

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hahaha, nice. I'm in a Dragonlance campaign starting after the new year, playing a 3rd level rogue (so I could get Evasion and Uncanny Dodge)/4th level wizard/1st level Wizard of High Sorcery (DL prestige class). He's going to eventually turn on the party, and, in the next campaign, is going to be the final villain when everyone's at or above 20th level.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I was playing in the early to late 80's with the AD&D books. Back when the chuthulu mythos was in deities and demigods. Have to say I'd love to play again. Forget computer versions. D&D is all about dice, pizza, making faces, using your imagination, and making stuff up as you go.

I did a lot of DMing, but when i got to be a PC my fave was human cleric, usually chaotic neutral. Haerd to beat the "cure wounds" spells for sheer usefulness. Best module tsr put out was "the sinister secret of saltmarsh". Vorpal swords are cool, and how nuts is a cleric with a vorpal morningstar?? 5% chance of crushing the opponents head!!! We usually made our own relics up. Personal created favorite was the "helm of androshpinx roaring". Radiates magic, looks pretty, blah blah blah. Won't come off and deafens the wearer to the point of collapse or death. :cool:

7. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    The original however was not!

8. Another D&D junkie here. Using Edition 3.5. Really like it...they kept everything from 3rd, but added back in some of the rules taken out from 1st and 2nd edition. 4th edition is supposedly due out late 05 to early 06.

Out of all the characters, I gotta go with a Halfling Rogue. Although I also like Elven Rangers. While as a halfling though, sometimes that size comes in handy.

I'm not currently involved in any campaigns or adventures right now. For the past 2 years, I had been DM-ing a campaign, but with people leaving the game, and new people joining, that campaign has died a slow death, and is no more.

9. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    im surprised theres this many D&D cats on this forum, ive been a player for over 20 years.

i once had a character named "Draxx", he was a 20th level elvin mage/warrior.

i took out an ancient red dragon with a fireball/magic missle combo, i then took my +5 sword of dragon slaying and finished it off. the treasure hord was INSANE.

200,000 gold pieces
    magic armour
    wand of sleep

i never lost a battle with that guy, he has his own castle and i own most of the realm. incredible.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Limb Ripper Johnson- Human Barbarian

Exotic weapon proficiency (limbs)
    Improved critical (limbs)
    Rend
    Improvised weapons
    Improved Reaction (is renouned)
    Improved unarmed strike

Among other things that allow him to live up to his name. Limbs are for all intents and purposes treated as flails for combat resolution.

His favored limb is his unique item, the Arm of Zeus, that is, yes, eponymous.

He rips the limbs off his opponents, and beats them to death with them. He often carried a bugbear, troll, and orc arms in a quiver, so that he already has the limbs on him, should he face someone he can't quite limb rip. Like, say, some sort of ogre.

He's also Scottish. ...I tend to destroy D&D more than play it, much to my brother's (DM and D&D enthusiast) consternation.

11. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    Urban Elf Ranger

Haven't played in a while, but yea ace game, need a good GM though!

12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I played D&D in HS briefly but preferred a couple other RPGs. The problem with RPG's is finding the right people to play it with. I would also like to get laid again :D , but if I could ever find a group that wasn't too hardcore and actually had some females playing I'd get in on it.

In D&D I had a human swashbuckler named Oliver :oops: . I think I got him to like 5th or 6th level before I quit playing D&D. I found Marvel RPG and Vampire much more entertaining.

ImNotJoel likes this.
  13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I played 2nd edition for years until I discovered White Wolf games. Then 3rd edition came out, and I decided that I didn't like having to be a math major to play a friggin game.

Mostly I dug playing the Forgotten Realms setting, but I got to play Dark Sun a couple times and it was pretty cool.

14. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    go slap yourself stringbean nips, then report back.

regards, "wild eagle"

15. i'm a d&d to ad&d 1st+2nd, and now 3e/3.5e player via neverwinter nights, i play on a set of free neverwinter nights servers modeled after the forgotten realms and hosted by real people. We've got dm's, and admin structure, in house dev's, roleplayers, custom content, yadda yadda yadda, check out http://www.alandfaraway.org, or come visit us on irc.sorcery.net #alfa, not the most intellectual conversation, but you can find out info there.

my current character is a 2nd lvl Drow wizard, currently playing in a evil character/drow campaign on aformentioned servers, in skullport, waiting for completion of the construction of the undarkdark servers.

16. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    You jerk lol.

Havent played since 2006. But I ran this:

Barbarian/fighter. Dual wield. Great cleave. improved crit. Robilars gambit. 6 attack rolls. 2d20 for attacks. level 23. Never died. Way too much to remember let alone list My DM friend still has the sheet, he uses as a boss character (slightly modified) in his campaigns. They still play. Maybe ill take pics of my old sheet. Played him (Bunga B. Burzurken) for two years. Still one of the most powerful characters his house has ever seen.

Stay tuned for character sheet pics.

You fricken buncha nerds lol.

17. FangusKlot

FangusKlot Banned

Apr 8, 2015
    Oddworld
    Wow just saw that the last post was 2004 lol. :woot:

18. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester Supporting Member

As zombie threads go, it's probably appropriate. D&D means drinking and drugs, right?

19. jp58

jp58 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I've been playing 5e in a homebrew campaign (my DM is excellent) as a tiefling sorcery/cleric. He killed me as a chaotic neutral (later revealed to be game balancing, I was extremely overpowered) only to have me revived as a good/chaotic good cleric of the moon goddess Selene (sp?). Our current predicament was just revealed to be the circles of hell (the Inferno) to save our souls from the demon Sirnunos. Also, that's my fault. My family made a deal with him generations ago.

We've also played 3.5 (Castle Revenloft) and Mutants and Masterminds. I think we may be looking at Vampire or something space opera-like for our next campaign.