1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alright, I'm gonna say it:

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Oneirogenic, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I don't like talking to other bass players at shows for the most part. The ones I enjoyed talking to were the ones also going to be onstage that night. I see a pattern here.... Every other time I've talked to bass players whether drunk or sober it just turns into a painful conversation for me. The guy I talked to last night might have been OK if he was sober and wasn't trying to hit on my wife. To be fair he didn't know but she still had to go to some effort to get away from him and then he turns his attention to me. I was nice to him though since he wasn't being a huge jerk and he did compliment my playing. I would rather he didn't talk to me though. This has happened many times in the past too. Either it's the booze or these guys are hacks with nothing better to do because when I talk bassists in established bands they are great to talk to. Can't be any worse than a drunken hack guitarist trying to tell me I need to play a fender.

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I hate having to try to explain my gear to bass players at a gig. Youre a bass player but never heard of Markbass or G&L? I usually just pretend I have stuff to do and politely excuse myself.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well let me be a sober hack bassist to tell you to play a Fender!

4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    You can't make me! I do own a Guild and a Tacoma....does that count?

5. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    I own two Fender basses, and two Fender guitars. I tell my guitarists to get Fenders cause I'm sick of them constantly having to tune their Gibsons.

6. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    I don't mind talking to other bassists unless they start with the competitive talk. IOW - "you play this, well I play a Fender 4 string. It's what so and so plays." That's when I change the subject. Music isn't a competition IMHO. You play what you like.

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I only ever get double bassists wanting to talk about gear, and that's usually discussing strings and pickups. To be fair they're expensive things to experiment with, so if you see someone using something you haven't tried it's worth talking to them if they've got time.

Bass guitarists, they only ever say 'Can I borrow your amp?' :D

8. I have been playing a Gibson SG bass as of late. I love the tone and the fast neck. Just wish it would stay in tune.

9. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    If the person's a jerk, (i.e. "I use ____ and that ___ of yours is crap, etc."), I'm not going to bother with them. They usually can't say anything bad after the show for some reason... hmmm... ;)

If the person's cool and wants to share info/experiences/tips/whathaveyou, then what's the harm? I enjoy making new bass friends when possible.

You can learn from anyone when you take the time to listen.

10. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Bass Player: What do you play?

Me: Spector NS-2

Bass Player: Oh, I like Schecters.

Me: No, a Spector.

Bass Player: That is a nice Schecter.

Me: Yeah, I like Schectors.

(I was holding my Spector NS-2 during this exchange.)

11. I've learned to avoid f clef hats at my shows. I actually like talking to other bassists about gear, influences etc. etc. but not at my shows. We only get so much time to talk on breaks between sets and I like to use that time to walk around and say hello and thank you to friends that made it out to support us.

12. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    HA did you mean steinbergers? :bag:

13. Where are you guys finding bass players to talk to between sets? Most of the ones I see either disappear out the back door or hide in the bathroom.

And shouldn't you be talking to that good looking gal that was checking you out while you played "Mustang Sally"? :bag:

As far as basses go, my go-to is a Schecter Diamond P Custom. Love it. Don't know how many time's I've been told that my "Fender P bass" is pretty cool.

In all fairness.......it's almost identical looks wise.....:D

14. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    I don't mind talking to other bassists. I'd just rather it not be while I'm in the middle of a set.

15. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Sometimes "That Guy" can be known as "Mr. +1". You know that guy that does whatever you do but he's always "+1" better at it than you are and he's going to tell you all about it. Grrrrrrr

"If that's the case why am I hearing about how amazing you are while I'm on stage as you're looking up from down there to tell me about it? Hmmmmmm?"

(Sorry minor rant)

16. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I can rant better IMO. Jk! I hear you. You don't want to be That Guy. Nobody likes That Guy. In anything

17. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    I feel you, I am jaded as heck though. Drunkards are drunkards...They are buying the booze that pays you so be cool.

I work in the Fender building, I have yet to not have a Nordstrand in a stand since I got here, The other basses: Callowhill, my personal built Singlecut, and (guilty) a Pino P-bass with TI flats. Fender offices have Gibsons as well.

18. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I think most of cooler bass playing folk are in bands. The guys that aren't are the ones that are annoying, drunk, talk to me while I'm playing, between songs, and yell for a bass solo. One guy was so bad my other two band mates told me "play a f***ing solo so he'll shut up" At first I was a smart ass and played one long sustained note with an Ebow. When that didn't work I played a few seconds of a tapping riff that could pass for a bass solo. Maybe I'm just lucky and get all the drunk bass guys. If I'm at show and wanna talk to the bassist I wait until a set break or when it's over and if they seem like they wanna chat I will. If not a handshake and a "I appreciate your playing and classy taste in gear" or something along those lines.

19. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    It's like that. I get heaps of drunken bass players asking if they can 'have a strum'. Umm, no. These are my instruments, and you can not fiddle.
    Oh, and by the way, these are lefties, so you will be more confused than your JD bottle suggests.
    I had one guy tell me that he's been all around the world, touring with Van Halen and stuff. I asked him what gear he used and he said 'what they gave me' hmmmm. He looked at my '62 Jazz and said "like that, sorta"

20. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    You know, I love to talk shop with other bassists especially if they use equipment that I've never tried. When it comes down to it, it really depends on the person. Some guys are cool, some guys are not; such is life.