Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alright I've drove everybody nuts.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Sep 25, 2002.

1. I'm gonna buy a Lakland 55. I think I like the 5594 better than the 5502 simply because it is US MADE. It also cost double what the import costs. Can anybody give me a good reason why I should buy the US model over the Import. I don't care much about the look of the wood, I'm planning on getting a painted body model. Well maybe if I don't change my mind again.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Piece of mind is pretty valuable. I think you're above phony "snob appeal." As an older, prejudiced guy from the bad old days of basses made in the Far East, I still hate seeing "Crafted in Korea" on the back of my Skyline. But then I plug it in and play it.

Personally, I get off on all these 55-94 owners saying they can't tell my 55-02 from their 55-94's in a blindfold test. But that just means I rationalize using the money I saved to buy other gear anyway. :rolleyes:

3. If the money's not going to break you, why not buy the U.S. model? I'm not saying that EVERY bass made in the U.S. is automatically superior to a bass made somewhere else, but, with few exceptions you can't go wrong with a U.S. made instrument. Exotic woods not withstanding, the extra bread you pay basically goes for someone's time to pay attention to and get all the little details in order. I own four basses, only one is U.S. made, but, right off the rack it's got all its ducks in a row. (Stingray)

Also, no matter where it's made, I think everyone should buy at least one top of the line bass. (When funds permit)

You asked the question. I believe you just need a little convincing from others to justify spending the extra $. My advice: Buy the best you can, but, buy what you REALLY want. Maybe it's just psychological, but, usually when you spend more on something I think you tend to cherish it more.

Good luck.

Mike J. :cool:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You've DRIVEN everybody nuts. :p
    Sorry, I used to date a teacher.