Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alright, looking for a new stand-alone cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Well, my 4x10 is dying too much to really play through it confidently.

So I am thinking of maybe going a 2x10 or 1x15 route. Only I don't know where to start really.

I'm looking for a decent flat response with out having very sharp high end from brutal tweeters. But at the same time, something with a serious articulate low end.

And not too heavey or expensive.

Is it possible?

2. what does your amp put out at 4 ohms?

3. You should read that thread on schroeder cabs. i don't have one but I am thinking about trying. Other than that, I think avatar has good cabs for the money. 210 cabs sound good with a 115.

4. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Here's my comments on a number of compact cabs:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149011

My first thought based on your request: If you've got the wattage, Acme B-2 will give you all the low end you could possibly want. Very portable, too, and pretty reasonably priced too.

If you've got some woodworking skills you might also read some of the threads on billfitzmaurice's very interesting cabs. With a lot of sweat equity you can get an insanely loud low-cost cabinet. I haven't heard one of those yet.

-PW

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    www.libertymusicshop.com

Ask for Peter. He's a great guy to deal with, and his 2X12 neodynium cab is killer. He makes them under the Wan Bass Systems name (WBS).
    And it's light enough to pick up with one hand!!

6. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    you could look at avatarspeakers.com
    they are kinda low price stuff, i don't know if that means low quality or not (i've not played through them).
    people seem to like the neo 410, and it has a knob
    on the back to adjust that horn (if your worried about it).

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    guess what?

bag end 115 with or without coax
    try one before you plunk down your money on something else just to say ya did.

;)

8. BeeBassist

BeeBassist

Oct 24, 2004
    Denver
    AccuGroove Baby ....Accugrove.

Dave
    Bee Basses Rule :bassist:

9. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I've got a Bergantino 210/115 stack for sale. Powerful, balanced sound with sweet highs that are not clanky/raspy and the cabs weigh 64/59 lbs respectively. You get the punch from the 10's and the roundness from the 15 and you can smush people against the wall with your 2402 bridged mono...if you're so inclined. Email me if you are interested.

10. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    Try a Genz-Benz NeoX212 before you buy anything else; you won't buy anything else. This cab has awesome lows with a five string, and is very smooth, clean, and powerful. I compared it with most everything else listed in this thread, and NOTHING came close to it. It weighs 62 lbs., and has a nice tiltback wheel arrangement.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Check out Bag End...

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I like the Bag End S15D a lot but given your description I would get a Euphonic Audio CXL112 (or as an alternative the EA 210). I have a lot of experience with both and you can't go wrong with either. The Bag End has more old school midrange and the EA has better clarity, definition and punch.
    The EA is my thing.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, depending on what you consider "too expensive", it sounds to me light you are describing either an Accugroove Tri 210L, EA NL-210, or ACME Low B-2. Between those three, it's justa matter of personal preference.

14. I'm auditioning Accugroove Whappo Jr. and Schroeder 410 this week to replace my Ampeg SVT-410HE/SVT-18E stack.

-- Dan --

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll be interested to hear your results!

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Is anyone out there making a 1/4 sized version of the old 8x10 'fridge cab ? You know, an 2x10, sealed no tweeter type cab? I loved the hi-mid presence of my old fridge. I didn't like the 60 to 80- hz bump though and I sure as hell don't want to load one of those up or down a flight of stairs anymore! Something like the above would be sweet sitting on one of more of my 1x15's though...

Out of the commercially available cab's I've heard lately the Bergie sealed 6x10 is the only thing I've heard that makes sense. And it's too big for my uses ... Sweet sound though. Just the smoothest hi end!

17. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I have 2 of the CXL-112, and like it a lot. But can a single one really replace a 4x10? I don't really think so, unless it's a particularly wimpy 4x10. A pair of CXL-112 on the other hand, can get really scary loud.

But then, when I play with a single 112 I'm only driving it with about 180 watts; if I had the full 350 available I'd get roughly another 3 dB out of it, which would help.

The CXL-112 does have serious articulate low end, and it takes well to a little bass boost on your EQ. There's a lot of (very clean and clear) treble and mids; it has a very "forward" sound, maybe too much for some tastes, you might want to turn the tweeter level down.

Another contender would be a Schroeder "little box" which really can replace many 4x10 cabs. It feels substantially louder than a single EA CXL-112, and costs about the same.

Or, again, look at the Acme B2, given enough wattage, which has the advantage of being significantly cheaper, too.

18. I built one myself, using a pair of JBL K110's. I ran it as the top cabinet when I had a GK 800RB and ran bi-amp. I retired it when I sold the GK and went to a full-range rig again.

-- Dan --

19. Alright, those all sound like great suggestions.

But the problem is, there are no stores in RI that carry 90% of that stuff.

So... I really can't try many of these out.

20. Nick's Music in Newport is a Genz-Benz dealer. They supposedly will order any GB gear without any obligation from you to buy. http://nickysmusic.com

Order a NeoX 212. You can get them for about 6 bills or a little more. I love mine!