Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alright men, its time to set up a diet for Mikey...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Alright... I wanna lose weight, but not actually do any amount of strenuous excercise. Ya, I know... I'm a wuss.

I'm not worried about being muscle bound, I just want to drop the pounds...

I usually don't eat breakfast because I don't have time... Lunch is either a Frito Boat+Coke, 2 Red Baron Pizza's+Choco Milk, or Burrito+Chocomilk....

Dinner can range from Cereal, to mac and cheese, to quesadillas, to pizza...

I know if I cut the pizza and coke, I would be of to a great start... I have already got my coke consumption way down. but now i just eat more pizza. :p

Here is what I am thinking..

Breakfast: Eggs, Egg Sandwhich... Bacon? Just something high-protien...

Lunch I'm screwed because the school meals do not cater to any type of diet... they just balance it all out. I can get a single salad... Would it have to be a plain salad? Or could I sneak on a little ranch and keep Dr. Atkins happy?

Dinner: Chicken... hamburger patties... hot dogs... something meaty... with some vegatables thrown in.

Also, I will try to limit my self to water and 100% fruit juices.

Now, please point out the flaws and improve my plan.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Oh, and I'll actually start doing stuff in PE... Not just doing enough to pass.

3. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Well, here's what I do to keep the pounds off:

Breakfast: cereal or nothing
    Lunch: 1 slice cheese pizza & sunkist
    Dinner: anything easily prepared & chocomilk

On Fridays & Saturdays (actually, any day I work) my dinner will be a big ass chicken fried rice, chicken yakisoba sans veggies, or some other chicken dish and a coke

oh yea... i also skateboard when it's sunny outside and my job keeps me walking around for 7 hours at a time

4. Well, here's a start: Get lots of excercise. Aerobic, anaeoric, the works, every day if you can. Run, lift weights, do curlups, dips, etc. Excercise to lose the weight. Squats are good as well. Benchpressing rocks too.

Just get some excercise, really. Doing stuff in PE isn't enough. Try to set the school records.

5. Eggs are good to have. Maybe a slice of toast with it and some milk. As far as bacon, go turkey bacon. Yes it's not as good as normal, but it's healthier.

A salad would be good, and yes, a little ranch dressing won't really hurt you. Maybe change it up sometimes. What all does your school have to offer and why can't you just take your own lunch?

Chicken is really good. Also maybe try some fish, great diet food!

IMO, not the greatest of ideas. Water is good for you and you should drink a lot of it. Fruit juices can be high in calories sometimes and isn't as good for you. At meals (mainly Breakfast and Dinner) try and have milk. At lunch, go for a fruit juice.

Now if you snack a lot in between meals, stop! Fill your empty stomach during that time with either vegetables, some fruit or just water.

Now, I know by looking at myself you might think that this all might be BS, but it has helped me lose some weight. We learned dieting in wrestling and I have pretty much stuck with it and it's helping. And yes, exercise will help you get rid of some weight; You don't have to do anything extensive, but do something. Personally I run and lift weights as my exercise.

Good luck with this Mike, I hope you pull through with it!

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole

6. i have come to believe its not what you eat, but how much of it you eat that really counts. sure it doesnt hurt to eat more fruits and veggies (fruit mmmmm) but IME you can lose a fair amount of weight by just cutting back on your meal sizes. i went from 268 at the beginning of summer 03 to 215 now. all i did was cut back on the food and exercize a little. good luck, it feels great.

7. Go find a book. look at a few. you'll learn a lot and you can combine the various diets to make your own hybrid. when i started trying to lose weight i read through 3 or 4 books and tried a little from each. i ended up with mostly the atkins diet, but it worked. from 215 to 190 in a month. more energy, found it easier to get up in the morning, it can be a great diet.

another one's key was exercising in the morning. didn't take more than 5 minutes each day. it's a quick warmup and then some strengthening exercises. each day works a different muscle, so you don't overwork anything. the theory was that the exercising breaks down the muscle (true), so your body starts building muscle, using stored energy, and releasing more energy making you feel more awake throughout the day.

i don't know if it worked, i only did it for about 3 or 4 days....B+)

seriously, though, read a lot of expert opinions, and do what sounds right to you. there's no one way to do it.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Changing your diet alone will not be as effective as doing that and some moderate exercise.

You don't need to lift weights or anything of that sort. You can swim or ride a bicycle.

Yoga can also help a lot. Whatever you do, make sure to do it habitually. A half hour every other day is better than doing nothing and then exercising four hours on the weekend.

Y'know, Men's Health mag has a weight loss club. Do you think we have enough TBers who'd want to go the distance and do the same?

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I just dont want to exercise because I'm tired/sore enough already... 2 hours of bass mon, wed, fri... 6 hours tuesdays and thursdays... then saturdays i have practice from 1-8, and sometimes 8-8... silly school programs... I have to do a lot of heavy lifting (Speakers, props, etc...) so i need to refrain from activities that might make me hurt myself...

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    The thing that i did that helped me drop a chunk of weight [got down from 225 to 200] was just quit drinking Coke/Carbonated Drinks and avoiding the sugary coffee drinks [e.g. Iced Mochas, Glacier {coffee shake sorta thing}].

The other that helped out a large amount was that i avoided snacking. E.g. If i felt like eating a bag of chips-i went and worked on my bass project for a bit. If i felt like eating icecream, i'd get on here. Just had to be something to avoid eating and getting my mind active.

That's all

11. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Calory intake > Calory useage = wieght loss
    Calory intake < Calory useage = weight gain

That was the summary line to a documentary on diets I once saw that focused on 'the Atkins diet'. Makes sense, wouldn't you aggree?

Ps - I think I got the '<' '>' the right way round :p

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    More exercise
    less pizza (esp. pepperoni), none if you can do it
    no sodas
    less white sugar
    less meat
    less saturated fats (butter, etc.)
    more vegetables
    lots of water
    replace few big meals with more and smaller ones

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually it's the other way round - the fitter you are and the more muscles you have developed - the less likely it is that you will hurt yourself when lifting heavy objects.

If you have back problems it is recommended to develop your abdominal muscles to help take the strain. Moderate, supervised exercise though - not going mad!!

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Nope, > is greater than, < is less than.

So what you are saying is this:
    1. If calory intake is more than calory usage = weight loss
    2. Calory intake less than calory usage = weight gain.

It is supposed to be the other way round.. :)

Calory intake < Calory useage = weight loss
    Calory intake > Calory useage = weight gain

15. EAT LESS CARBS/SUGAR.

There ^^

My day consists of

Eggs or bacon(protien) for breakfast every day.sometimes with a slice of wheat or whole grain bread

A Salad with lunch meet and tomatoes in it for lunch, but a sandwich on tuesday.

Dinner, something healthy. Sometimes pasta(wheat). Definally a protien and a veggie.

This friday I'm getting Subway though ^^.

16. Just drink water...only water.

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    if you presently eat the way you describe in the post it's no wonder you don't want to think about exercising. pizza, coke, chocolate milk, frito boat.... did you ever eat a vegetable???? they're good for ya!

all kidding aside, i really think many people don't believe in the importance of eating healthfully. when you're a teen or in your early 20s all that eating crappily does is make you fat and miserable. As you start getting closer and into the 30s lots of people's bodies begin to say - i ain't takin no more, and they wind up with chronic health problems.

i don't believe people become healthy eaters overnite either. I don't know anyone who has anyhow, all of the people i know who eat really well developed good eating habits slowly over the years.

i think I eat better than your average person, and it came about by realizing what certain foods did to me. red meat I always hated. it always made me feel tired and i skieved eating it. as soon as i moved out of my parents house i happily stopped eating it. no sacrifice there for me. i miss bacon once in a while, but the fear of how sick it would make me keeps me far away. bacon used to mess my stomach up even when i ate anything and everything.

i later gave up chicken because i learned a little about the meat industry and decided that also wasn't right for me... i always really disliked that too anyhow....

but those weren't the important things. sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar - america is built on processed sugar.... they put it in everything and 98% of americans are addicted to it and don't know it. ask anyone to cut it out of their diet and see the defenses that go up. processed sugar strips all other food of it's nutrients, gives a quick burst of energy, and then drains people. it reaks all kinds of havoc on the body, and for most people it's subtle - so there's not much motivation to do away with it.

eek! i'm getting into a rant i can't finish cuz i gotta go to work.

in short. i believe it's best to change things a little at a time, get educated on food, the hell with any fad diets, eat 6 or 7 healthy small meals a day, try to switch anything you dring to water, maybe juice once in a while, start switching crappy foods for vegetables.... blah, blah, blah - also start exercising just a tiny, tiny bit. as you get results you become more motivated. i actually have tons of suggestions, things that worked for me - a diehard, lazy, fat blob. if yer interested you can pm or email me. i'd be happy to help if possible. gotta go.

joe

18. The only sure fire way to lose weight is to run, or jog, or walk. walking a mile or two everyday will burn off a few pounds, running a mile or two everyday will burn off alot of pounds. But, if you want to take your chances at eating differently, I suggest you lay off the soda, having one once or twice a week is ok, but a few everyday is very bad.

In the morning, eat something like Oatmeal. Not that instant oatmeal crap, but the real deal. You will see that your energy level will stay up longer in the morning, and you won't need to eat as much.
    At lunch, try having an apple or an energy bar to tide you over.
    and at dinner, start eating stuff like meatloaf, steak, pork, any meat products, plus some vegetables.

Also, drink LOTS of water everyday, like around 8 glasses a day, and that can help you suppress your appetite. Plus don't eat right before you goto bed, the carbs and calories won't be expended in anyway, and will just turn into fat while you are sleeping.

Good luck with losing weight.

19. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If it is white, cut back on it. Bread (pizza crust, rolls,) rice, pasta, sugar. Drink water instead of coke or make it a diet. Keep track of when you eat and ask yourself "do I really need this snack?" It doesn't have to be painful to work.

20. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I have a nasty gut feeling that the Atkins diet is going to start killing people before too long.

Well, I got myself from 215 to 198 in like 6 weeks by just paying attention to calories and fat grams. My goal is 180 and i'm 5'6" tall. The holidays screwed me all up but i'm back on the wagon. Since I don't have a lot of time for thinking about lunch, I made myself a little menu of what I can eat at all my fast-food locals. I just targeted 20 grams of fat or less per meal to start me out.

For example, if I go to Wendy's, I can get a small chili and a grilled chicken sandwich, for a total of 500 calories and 13 grams of fat (and I love the stuff, to boot). Pick stuff you like and that'll make you feel satisfied, you don't have to just hit the salads. Compared that to a Big Mac alone having 34 grams of fat (or a Whopper with 45!) and the difference is astonishing and damn-near immediate. Find out what you can about the foods you like and plan accordingly.

Some places are harder if you're a fast food junkie. I haven't eaten at a Long John Silver's since September, and that was harder than giving up cigarettes.

And I haven't exercised in a very very long time. I know that's the last piece, but I'll do what I can with food choices first, and hope I get some high-energy bass gigs to finish that fat off =0)