Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alright men, school me on what goes on on Formal night.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    No, not what happens in some hotel rooms after wards. I'm talking the crap that just seems so trivial.

The little wrist flower thing? What the hell am I supposed to do there?

Wait, in fact, walk me through high school formal rituals starting at the first step after getting a date.

*feels retarded*

2. is "formal night" your way of saying "Prom"?

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    No, this is Winter Formal... Prom is like... April? or May...

4. Mikes gonna mess up. Don't drink the punch !!

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Rules:

1. You must match her. Do this by asking what color her dress will be. Match with tie or shirt, etc.
    2. Buy a corsage (the wrist flower thingy). It should be roses, but carnations are ok if you are a cheapskate. Match that to her outfit by selecting ribbons and trim to match her colors, much like you did for yourself.
    3. Go out to a nice dinner. Olive Garden is not nice. Chili's is not nice. Think ahead: You will not want to be dancing after eating a heavy dinner. Eat light. Chinese, Mexican, Steakhouse type things are too heavy. I personally went for a classy Italian place with small servings. It was perfect.
    4. Don't spend the entire night on the dance floor. Go outside or in the lobby, etc, to have some intimate personal conversation.
    5. Don't be a bone head.
    6. Use common sense.
    7. Don't step on her toes.
      [/list=1]

Good luck, and godspeed.

[edit]For the dinner, use those manners you have invariably forgotten from over a decade of eating with family and friends. I'm not just saying that because it's you, Mike. Everyone forgets their manners after long enough. You might not realize it, but just be careful about it.

ONE MORE IMPORTANT TIP I FORGOT:
      Open doors (car doors included) for her, and pull out her chair for her at dinner. Not three stooges style so she falls on her ass, mind you.

That is all for now.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

1. Alright... What else?

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That pretty much covers it I think.

Oh, and don't be ashamed if you can't dance. They think its "cute".

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I know there is more...

I already had most of that down... I forgot about the door/chair thing... but it would have come to me at the last second anyways...

hrm...

9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    In truth, there is not much more than that. It isn't as hard as it looks. Just don't be dumb, and it will all work out.

10. that would be funny though. Don't tell her I said to do that though, Mike.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    One rule, and one rule only:

She is the only female in the world to you. If you let her think anything else, you lose.

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think the best advice for you Mike is - "don't be yourself" :D

Only joking - don't worry about what you should and should not do (other than the basic formalities like the corsage, manners etc) and just enjoy yourself - no one looks good or has fun when they are stressed!

And lest I not be the last person to tell you to wrap that rascal ;)

13. make sure the girl you take is cool. you'll have much more fun.

also, dont be shy to dance like a fool!

also (again) plan something cool for after the dance. like last year after the prom we went midnight bowling, then back to her house and stayed there the night and her mom made us breakfast. it was great.

if you play your cards right, this could be a very cool night. if i can have fun at these things, anyone can...

oh yeah, make sure your tux is P.I.M.P.
    im talking top hat, cane, long tail, etc

:p

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I reckon that's the one that's gonna trip him up :D

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Alright...

I'd tell you guys the plan, but she might stumble upon the post accidently. :p

Midnight bowling... that sounds fun... I never did think of anything to do afterwards... so that definitly sparks my interest...

Thats just a good general rule all the time.

Tux.. no tux... Black shirt, Black pants, black shoes, black sox, and a white bow tie... maybe a jacket if i can find one.

thanks for the info guys... please give me more if you think of some :)

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Whatever you do don't wear a white tux. The guys who wear white tuxes to formals think they look cool, but they really just look stupid.

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

White tux's are queer.. My mom tried to get my dad to wear white at their wedding... and he was like "This is the one time in my life i REALLY need to look like a man. I will not wear white."

its a great story...

18. LOL..your dad sounds cool

And i agree whites suits are just wierd...but other colors and pin stripe are cool

19. Maybe except pale blue..thats also weird

20. If you really want to be pimp, go with a full Zoot Suit. That's what I did for my Senior Prom. Had to go out with a "bang!"