1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alright, New design and logo

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greg Johnsen, May 6, 2006.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    since some of you have seen my other thread, I finally got permission to build a bass after some woodworking classes, and I'm totally pumped about it. So much so, that I've already drawn up and scanned the desing I want to use, and the logo.

Alright, My basses are going to be called Alpha Sigma basses (it's greek, and the weird lookin' E in the logo is an S, just in case someone didn't know). This particular design as of now does not have a name, but it is very similar to the Rambo Greg (Drake's doing...) I posted a while ago.

[​IMG]

I'll post the specs in case some of you guys were wondering, and btw, the drawing took me about an hour or more during school to draw up, so it's not too great,a nd I had limited supplies to get stuff straight, but when I whip out some poster board, I'll get a full scale drawing for you guys. Also, the lines on the notebook paper represent 2", so this is to scale.

Specs:

Mahogany core
    Flame maple accent on the top and back of the mahogany
    Figured walnut top and back
    5 piece wenge/flame maple neck
    Gaboon ebony fingerboard
    Flame maple pickguard
    Nordstrand Big Singles underneath walnut covers
    ETS MK-III bridge in black
    THG knobs in flame maple and walnut
    Gotoh GB& tuners
    Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with mid switch, and individual knobs for the EQ (as in no stacked ones)
    Graphtech graphite nut

and... I think that's it. If anyone has tool reccomendations, please tell me about them, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Greg

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Fraternity basses!!! j/k :meh:

I really like the design, and the specs you posted seem real nice.

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    lol! I actually got the idea from a certain fraternity (Alpha Sigma Sigma). And I'm glad you like the design, hopefully if enough people like it, they'll want a bass in that design, and then I can make some money off of it.

Greg

4. Dig the design bro, almost a throughback to Bud or THC basses. I think stacked knobs would save you a bit of space though, however, it looks like you have enough space with that pickguard for 5 knobs. Also you may want to rethink your headstock design a bit, that protrusion on the left-hand side looks a bit, I guess 'odd' in a sense.

Other than that, the bass looks great, keep us updated, and good luck bro!

-Ryan.

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Wow, great looking design and specs. I really like the look. 5 strings?

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    psh, no way I'm I makin' a 5! This is gonna be a 4 banger. However, if you guys like the outcome of this bass, maybe with enough cash I'll make someone a 5, maybe...

Well, glad you guys like it, and Ryan, I know the headstock's a little weird, I did it quickly before I scanned it and that's the basic shape I want but I'll clean it up on the full scale version for you guys.

I'll probably make up a blog here pretty soon, and post the link to it here, and unlike my other blogs that failed, I'll actually keep this one updated, ha.

Greg

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Looking better!
    The triangular bridge sorta clashes, though, IMO.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, go with a Warwick or les paul bass style bridge there. That would fit the design scheme pretty well.

9. ETS has other designs as well.

-Ryan

10. The upper half reminds me of a Rickenbacker, while the bottom reminds me of a LeCompte.

11. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    drake...I don't get how it does...look nothing like a ric, but there is a little lecompte influence in there. Bud's just cursed with having good designs that inspire me I guess, lol.

Greg

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Oh, I've got it!
    Here's what I would do about the bridge:

String-thru, no tailpiece.
    Have the string ferrules follow the contour of the bottom of the body.

You'll still need a saddle(s) of some sort, though.

13. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I love the design, but honestly, the logo kinda bothers me.

14. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I like the logo, I'm just not into fraternity(s):smug:

15. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    ok...but then I waste my money buying the tailpiece...anyhow, I switched the tail piece to a rounded end rectangle, and I think it looks alot better. As of now, I'm drawing a shaded and very detailed picture of the bass, and it's taken me a long time so far. I spent at least an hour and a half on it last night...

Greg

16. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Reminds me of a Marchlewski. I think you may have the cart before the horse though man. Shouldn't you worry about being able to make a consistantly good product, or even one, before you even consider taking requests. I don't know about you, but if I charged someone $800 or more for a bass I'd want to make sure it was going to be boobies otherwise I'd feel really bad about it. Cool looking bass though.

17. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    lol, I'm not taking requests yet! I won't even consider taking requests until I make at least 3 basses and they all come out with excellent quality, and people like my designs and the sound clips, etc.

Greg

18. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    I think it's because of the pickguard. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was "Ric". But... all cracked out. It's a totally sweet design. +1 on the bridge comments. I like the headstock, though.

19. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    lol, well, out designs have their differences but those 2 did inspire me a little (the wolfehollow was pretty much the pickguard idea) and from the lecompte was the little cutout, but I wanted mine to be much more suttle and shallower. The design for the horns is something that I've always had in my head, before I even knew about lecompte. there are so many pages in my 7th and 8th grade notebooks with basses with those horns it crazy, too bad I sucked at drawing basses back then, ha.

I'm almost done with the shaded version, and as soon as I get posterboard, I'll do a full scale body for you guys.

Greg