1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alright! Which Yamaha??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dumbassist, Mar 25, 2006.

1. BB414

38 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. BB614

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. RBX ???

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Ok...
    Ive been reading threads abt the yamaha bb614 and the bb414...

So..Which one is better??
    I play Punk...

Also considering an RBX... Because it has humbuckers!! LOL!!!:D

They Say the bb614 is very flexible but some say it has a bad preamp!!

the bb414 is dead simple to control but the qn is...it is too simple?? im looking for that punk tone...

Are u bassists satisfied with the limited range of tones of the bb414??

AGAIN...Im Looking for that PUNK TONE...
    Like Nofx...but i DONT WANT DANELECTROS!!!
    I want either of the yamaha models!!!

its a qn between active vs passive...
    which 1??
    (btw can u use an outboard preamp for a passive bass??)

pls explain ur vote btw...

if u voted rbx...state which one...

im looking for cheap but will last me a long time... mayB FOREVER!!! :D :bassist:

Im Really leaning over to the bb414 side...:D

Thanks Btw...

2. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    i notice many punk rock bassists (eg. mike dirnt) only having a few knobs on their bass btw... just a fun fact

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Gumby is best.

4. i'd say RBX, they're pretty good basses. Mind you, my reason for choosing this bass is because john Myung of Dream Theatre plays them, so maybe not. they look great and sound great.

i hate to be stereo typical, but why don't you just go for a Fender p-bass?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    BB414. You can always use an external preamp, or something, and it'll sound great as is.

But you can't make a BB614 passive without wasting money.

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

+1, TP makes a good point. Also, I have played both and I think the passive one sounds better.

7. The "punk" mentality is that you use the simplest instrument available.

That being said, I've heard a lot of good things about the passive BB bass, and I would never say that a passive bass is a bad choice, especially for punk. I have an RBX earlier model (active pre), but I think that a passive Yammy (especially with the PJ pickups) would work much better for you.

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Yamaha are very good basses for the money. I have an active RBX 765A...definitely NOT the sound you are looking for...go for the 414.

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I played a rbx374 (low end rbx series, with preamp ).

and IMO it had to be one of the most comfortable basses i have ever played. personally i think the BBs look a bit weird, but im sure they sound very nice.

Also i have to agree with AshenBassist on the P-bass. a lot of punk bands use Ps.

10. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Yea.I Know…Its in Punk Rock 101…LOL!!!:D

2Knobs, Punk Rock…Sounds like it works rite?? Most Punk/Punk Rock bassist I have seen have abt 2 knobs average on their bass…:meh:

So i CAN use an external preamp on a passive bass…:bag:

Why Would anybody want to convert their active to passive?? Just curious… are there any advantages???:confused:

11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I tried a BB414 and BB614 side by side through a 1x15 Mesa Walkabout combo. I thought the 414 sounded big and wonderful like the original '80's BBs while the active 614 sounded kinda pinched and peaky. I also preferred the neck of the 414 (chunky @ the nut like a StingRay/P-Bass) to the 614's J-like dimensions.

12. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Y?!!:p Cause ill be itching to mod it...:D i want a bass that ill like as it is...besides...give Yammy a chance...Pple have this mentality that Fender's are the best...

ITs always Fender, Fender, Fender... Way Common!!!:rolleyes:

Besides...to buy a Fender here in Singapore (where i live) It will cost A LOT... Due to Shipment Costs frm the USA...
    Yamaha Has a Few Branches here in S'pore... So i can ask for enquires, send it for repair...its convienient...
    FENDER DOSEN'T!!!

Yea i know... But a P/J can give me more tone Options… I Can experiment and play ard with the tones…

13. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    :confused:

(Woah!! Didn't know you posted till i reread the thread...Don't recongnise u without the sparkling eye avartar...Btw, ur gear list...OMG u got more gears then an average music shop!!!:eek: )

14. new_west

new_west

Dec 28, 2005
    San Diego
    hey man, I live in Singapore too.. I bought my first bass 6 months ago RBX 374. Some problems with it. Just the way it acts, its an active.. and the feel aint that great. I realized I should have probably gotten a yamaha bb. Yesterday I tried the BB 414 at the plaza singapura store. Man, so solid.. it feels really great and I could get a good amount of options with the knob selector (3 selctions) like everyone said, if you're into punk all you need is a solid reliable bass, no gimmicks. Then again.. punk isn't what it used to be :-(

15. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Just incase you haven't seen the Bassplayer review on both the 414 and 614:

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=13&storycode=8368

I really enjoyed the sound and feel of the BB414 more than the BB614. Sounds like the 414 will fit your needs. But of course, you should try both if you can.

The only experience I have with the RBX series was with an older RBX774 which was a 35" scale 4-string. I love this bass, but don't think "punk" when I play/hear it.

Another option is the BB1000MA from a couple of years ago. Almost identical to the BB414, and you can find them used pretty cheap. There are a couple of subtle but nice differences........more subtantial bridge and the reversed P pickup on the BB1000MA for example. This is of course if you can get past the red fret markers and the choice of only black or green. Below is a pic of the BB414 on the left, and the BB1000MA on the right. Good luck!

Attached Files:

• BBS.JPG
      BBS.JPG
      File size:
      15.1 KB
      Views:
  16. Passive electronics have a different sound and response compared to active. Even if you like active better, it'll probably sound better if you get the 414 and then add a nicer preamp later.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I voted for the BB414, it's that classic BB profile, and I love it!

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    what's punk?

19. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Britney Spears:D

20. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    damn Right it ain't... and the gothic scene is really starting to bug me... Pple think that red ties, black shirts and lots of mascarrae will make them goth....DAMN THEM!!!:mad: It all started when mcr became mainstream with 3 cheers for sewwt revenge...