Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alright you guys

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by societysfinest, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Alright, as of now i listen to mostly punk, hardcore, emo ,indie, and reggae. With all of those beside some reggae, i feel like i can play them easily and not be challenged, i can still sometimes be creative though in band situations. But when i watch say something like Jay Leno or the Conan O Brien show i love that style of bass playing. I guess what i am saying is i want to start being able to play more jazzy, funky, maybe even gospel style music, including things like motown, soul, r and b also, . I play a four string mid nineties active fender precision special. Can someone please recommend some artists to learn songs from, ideas for me, or anything, because it seems i go to the guitar to be creative(sometimes) and i would like to start staying creative on the good ole' 4 stringer. Thanks all.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Whew....that's a doozy.

I don't even know where to begin.

I'd check out the "bassists" and "recordings" forums here, any bassist whom you have not heard of, look into them.

I could list names, but that would take too long, and I'm sure I'd forget some.

hopefully you will get better responses than this.

all I can say is listen and look into every new thing that comes your way.

3. Jaco, Jamerson, James brown (his music, he doesn't play bass), and soo many others you will find in the recordings and bassist board.

4. thanks for the Bad Brains suggestion, i knew of them already but its good to know they get some respect around here.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Darrall Rules!

when I was a kid I was a little hippie I got myself into a bad brains consert at the channel in boston Got right down front for the start I had no Idea what a pit was.

The only time Ive ever felt more out of control was that time I tried suffing and discovered what a undertow was.

AJ

6. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    If you aren't familiar with them already, Fugazi's Joe Lally has some funk, soul and reggae in his playing. In more recent albums he's kind of fallen into the background more but check out (if you haven't already) In On the Kill Taker or Repeater...