Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alrighty, can we get some Fodera experts in here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Indi86, Nov 8, 2005.

1. OK, I've been hit with a ruthless case of GAS. Now I need to know what I'm looking at, and the variations between the different Foderas. Let me explain:

I'm looking at Fodera $'s (or maybe a sweet Roscoe 4). I dunneed all those extra strings. Or even one extra string. Just the 4 will do.

Jamma Dave's Ying-Yang 4 was SICK, and what I liked especially about it was the PJ setup and the space between the strings and the body of the bass, compared to some others I've tried. Ken Smith's for example, and Moduluses as well have strings that just sit too low. I like my space, and Dave's Ying-Yang blew the bolt-on monarch I played in NY out of the water.

EDIT: Thanks TB: I now know I'm looking primarily at Deluxe Monarchs and VW 4's.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  3. oogling BC and BNW doesn't help my gas.

thanks though.

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    WrongRobot knows a lot about Foderas.

5. I'd get ahold of Joel from The Groove Shoppe. He can answer any questions you may have.

6. (duh) good call there bernie.

7. schnatzbass

schnatzbass

Nov 3, 2005
    Germany
    What are the differences between the different Monarch 4 combinations? Between Deluxe/Elite especially

elite=neck trough
    deluxe= set neck

congratulations ,good decision. I bought an Empereor Elite 5 four months ago. Best bass i ever had!!

8. Thank you schnatz.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    man, that GTG was GAS hell...

nice to know i'm not the only one. :p

10. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    aha! my plan is working perfectly - blind the other bassists with the beauty Fodera and they'll never notice I suck as a player!

Really man - it did the same to me when I played one - instant, unabated GAS. That's an expensive tablet of Beano, son.

Mine is a set-neck, though I doubt the bolt-on version now available is any less killer.

11. IMO Dave, it really is less killer. The set-neck really felt much nicer.

12. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
  13. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Interesting that a Yin-Yang blew a standard Monarch 4 out of the water. I know there's a major price gap but what would make such a difference? Don't standards consist pretty much of the same materials as the custom models?
    Anyone have some experience with standards and customs?

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm no "expert", but I do love my (Aero-equipped) Emperor Deluxe 5. The neck is a little wide, but I found it easy to adjust to. It has an excellent live tone, with a great blend of fullness, punch, and clarity.

Tom.

15. I'm pretty confident in saying that it was the neck joint that turned me off. The stepped joint is irritating for me to navigate. The bass still sounded like a Fodera should.

kelbrihan: I know this is sort of an odd question, but could you comment on the difference in string heights from the body between the Elites and the Deluxes?

16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I'll comment. There's a definite difference. The neckthrough Elite's have a neck that is pitched back to allow for low action and has the fingerboard essentially glued to the face of the instrument. The Deluxe set-neck is similar to a bolt-on in that it has no neck angle and the fingerboard sits quite proud of the face of the instrument to allow for low action. The neck wood itself is stepped above the face about an 1/8" or slightly more and then the fingerboard is glued to that adding more distance, causing the Deluxe to have more space between the strings and the body.

17. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    So, indi - thanks to Peter Parker's description above, it seems the Deluxe is your target as the construction of the set-neck is exactly what you're after, with the smooth joint instead of the bolt joint, and the height of the strings off the body similar to boltons.

Good news is, that a Deluxe that doesn't have the yin & yang inlaid face, is automatically $$$$ cheaper than mine. =0)

18. Indeed. Sweet.

19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    HAH! I just saw this thread. Jong's GTG did it to you too, eh? I see that it got Joker as well. If only Jong would stock Foderas, the three of us could make quite the series of purchases from him, couldn't we? Best of luck on your Fodera hunt, and if you get it, you better bring it by the shop so we can all check it out! :)

20. They're a drug, man. You try it once and you're reeled in.