Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alrighty, I'm a total nub. HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noobai, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Alrighty, well, I think I understand basses now.

Time to move onto the next part of my list, Amps, Cabs, and all the "Rack" stuff.

Explain this to me? What are all these thigns on a rack? How come I see people with like 5 amps? Or are they all amps? How is it all wired? How does it lead to a cab?

How do amps differ? Dont they just provide power, how do they effect sounds? How do cabs affect sound?

Tips on knowledge, good sites to read, etc. Thx :D

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Rack mount stuff is for organizing all of your equipment into one space. A lot of people put in their racks: a tuner, good equalizer, preamp(for further tone shaping) and power amplifiers. Some will route low frequency signals to their large speaker cabs, and the mids and highs to smaller cabs. It all depends on preference. There is so much equipment out there, it would be hard to tell you what ALL of it is. Look in guitar player magazine, bass player magazine, and other such publications, and usually they cover a story on a certain band or artist. They often have pictures of their main gear and what all of it is. That's a good place to learn this stuff. Hope this helps!

3. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    What are equalizers, pre-amp, etc? What do all these things do?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    When you want to break down your basic amplifier (this is just the amp, not the cab/speakers), there are two main parts, the power amp and the preamp. The power amp is what makes the signal really damn loud. That's all it does. It takes the tiny signal coming out of your bass and *amplifies* it to what you hear coming out of your speakers.

The preamp is what allows sound shaping and level matching. It allows you to adjust the level of the signal going into the power amp, and usually contains some form of equalization. You know the "Bass" and "Treble" controls on your car stereo? That is a form of equalization. (Or EQ) EQing is raising or lowering the volume of certain frequencies, as opposed to the entire level of the signal. Raising the low frequencies, or bass, will raise the chest-thumping lows, while adding highs will give defintion, etc. There are some good posts in the Effects forum on specific frequencies and different kinds of EQs and whatnot.