1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ALTEC 417-16LF Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad T. Bass, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Brad T. Bass

Brad T. Bass Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Fellow T-Bassers, Just an FYI.

I can’t speak highly enough about these Speakers. There is a pair available right now on ebay (till Friday April 10th). They are QUITE rare (the Bass version of the Altec 417). I have two 2-12 Cabs loaded with them. THEY CRANK !!!. (NO, this IS NOT my ebay ad. Of note: I’ll never part with mine). I drive these with (old School) a Musicman HD-130.

Two Altec Lansing 417 16LF 16 Ohm 12" Musical Instrument Speakers | eBay

B-string likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Hmmm, I shouldn't ask, but any recommendations on best DIY 2x12 cab plans to put these in? fEarless? Haven't ever gotten into the whole cab design thing, don't really care to, but following a plan, sure...

3. The Greenboy cabs are designed for the speakers in the plans only. If you don't use the speakers the cab was designed for, it becomes a bookshelf.

wcriley likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, that's how I was reading it - so back to the question....

5. Brad T. Bass

Oct 27, 2009
    But isn’t that what this site is all about? Asking & then getting Answers??

I have mine installed in MM 212rh Cabs. Ended up being a VERY Good Fit (actually physically, I had to enlarge the cutouts slightly), but from a sonic standpoint, I’ve been more than pleased with the fullness & tone.

As far as the fEARful Cabs, You may have to tweak the porting a bit for these (as you would with any driver that veers from a given cabinet’s parameters). These also are HEAVIER than the newer Neo’s.

I don’t own fEARful (I’ve heard nothing but praise for them), but I do also have my homemade TL-606 cabs loaded with Altec 421’s (If fEARful had been around years ago, no doubt, I’d have bought them). fEARful does make cabinets for 12” drivers.

Guess my appreciation for Altec comes from growing up in that era. I don’t drive them with my high power amps (never could find the exact power specs of them, but according to Altec, the 421-16lf’s were rated @ a 100 W “continuous power rating” {whatever that spec means} ), but that said, as efficient as they are, I’ve never had a need to.

Just passing this along, I really have no need for any more gear, otherwise I’d buy them for myself (my house isn’t getting any bigger, lol). What these amount to (and what makes them unique) is that they took a 417 basket and bolted on the ceramic magnet of the 421. Result, a Nice FAT low end.

I know some will argue that, except for weight, the type of magnet makes no difference (gauss vs. gauss), But when I got these, I “A / B’d” one with a 417-8H (alnico) and there IS a difference.

Take them for what they are. Altec always produced a quality transducer (of note, it is my understanding that the Altec “label” of TODAY is actually owned by Spark-o-matic). Great Plains Audio owns the original dies and produces Classic “Altec Like” Transducers under the brand name “Iconic”).

6. How Greenboy's cabs came about was to properly design a cab for a speaker. not make a speaker work in a box. Not trying to knock experimentation and you may be able to make a Greenboy design "work" with a different driver, but that is not what drove the design in the first place. The exact opposite is what drove the process.

Altec Lansing drivers are awesome, but as such deserve to have a cab designed for them so they can perform at their peak. Not just worked into a box, that is what people did when they knew no better. There is free software that is easy enough to use that will get much better results than hit and miss stuffing or "making it work" in a box that was not made for them.

Great Plains Audio may even have a spec sheet available on site to provide the info needed (I use them to recone my Altecs).

Brad T. Bass likes this.
  7. Brad T. Bass

Oct 27, 2009
    I honestly can’t dispute anything you’ve written here. and granted, the fEARful concept is Second to None. Beyond hearing about how GREAT they were, I hadn’t researched fEARful till last night (& apparently WORTH every penny). I can’t argue with the weight either. I am actually now pondering purchasing one someday. Now knowing that the Greenboy Cabs are marketed as a Closed System, I wouldn’t have suggested Tweaking one with different driver.

Yes, the Speaker Cab (and tuning) are every bit as important as the Driver. AND proper port tuning is very effective in doing a respectable job (no, not an end all) of flattening a response curve, even if the cab volume is only in the “ballpark”.

However @ ~ $1600 for a 2-12 cab ......

cabs | greenboy audio

.... + your Amp & Axe (well over 2 grand on stage) where the average bass player on this web site “might” clear a hundred bucks (before expenses) for the night. I’d opt for the pair of quality $100 dollar speakers in a low cost “closely” tuned cabinet and a decent amp (every time), to stack up against a Venue, where at any moment, one of any number of over zealous drunks (ahh to have patrons in an ideal world) could bring the proverbial “hammer down”.

We’ve all been there, even fellow band mates (I’ve even lost an EL-34 to a spilt glass of ice water).

A drunk changed my mind about a high end bass. | TalkBass.com

Yes, Great Plains has the Thiele Specs ( pre computer, it took a scope & and audio generator utilize them ) for the 417-16LF . Bill re-coned one of my 421’s after an encounter with an airborne Mic stand (before I fully realized the true Merits of a $14.00 solid metal speaker grill, lol). .

Just trying to maybe help someone out (thanks for saving them on the Cab ! ) , Moot point, they (the 417's) didn’t sell. Over time they’ll be worth more and an iphone 6, worthless. Funny how that works.

Cheers Brother!! THANKS for turning me on to them (GreenBoy, that is) :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    B-string likes this.