1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Altered Carbon

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mellowinman, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Is Great

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Sucks

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Is altering Carrots

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Who is watching this very weird Netflix series?

I happen to think it is quite good.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Only watched the first episode so far...which I did enjoy.
    I'll report back in after a few more.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  3. I'm 3 in. Started last week. I find binging on Netflix to be less enjoyable than, say, keeping it to one episode per evening. Or, even more crazy, not watching Netflix every day!

I know, I know... I'm talkin' like a loon but if I can do it, so can you. Still, love the show thus far! Must watch for any Sci-Fi fans. Plus, it's less likely to die a sad death like so many shows on the SyFy network. Massive bonus.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I have never watched more than one episode in a night. It's a good show, but too intense for bingwatching, in my opinion. I need to chill after each episode.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  5. Ya I feel ya. With how complicated it becomes you need time to mentally digest the plot points and whatnot. This is definitely not a bingeable show.

Still, it is one of my favorite new shows in a while. Anyone who is on the fence, just check it out. Really quite good.

mellowinman likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I watched the first three or so and realized I didn't quite understand what was going on. The motivation to rewatch the episodes wasn't there and that was it for me. I like my science fiction but the story is a bit too convoluted for my taste. I might give it another shot at some point but meh.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I finished the first (?) season, and I do not give spoilers, but my review is, VERY ENTERTAINING and SATISFYING show.

8. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Thanks for the heads up on this show. Just watched the first two tonight.

9. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Finished the season...I loved it.
    I'm a sucker for anything Bladerunner-ish...and this was just my sort of thing.
    A good story, great atmosphee, well-done characters, and a really interesting concept behind it all... That 'sleeving' idea is fascinating...and clearly led to some interesting dynamics.

I don't know if there's just this one season planned...it did end very satisfactorially...but if there is, I'll be watching it.

By the way, I also just watched a film called 'Mute' just out on Netflix. Directed by Bowie's son Duncan Jones, it's got that Bladerunner vibe too. Well worth checking out.

mellowinman and Jim Kernan like this.
  10. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I liked it. I thought the show was very well done. I do think it helped a great deal that I read the books years ago so I knew about the stacks and sleeves and understood it prior to watching the first episode. What was great about it was that I read them far enough back that the ins and outs of the plot had been forgotten but I remembered the premise of downloading consciousness quite well.

Oddly likes this.
  11. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    We are watching. Hubby says it’s following the book pretty good. I’m new to it so it’s taking me a bit more to get into it. So far, it’s great.

Jim Kernan and blue4 like this.
  12. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Binge watched the last 5 episodes last night. Great story, acting (Ortega was amazing), humor, effects, cinematography, etc. Impressive. Off to get the book, now.

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I watched most of the first season. It's a very good show. I'm sold. I'll read the books too. The world it's in is very interesting. I like good world building in science fiction. Ortega is beautiful. Tiny little thing. Poe is really good. I'm waiting for him to turn evil. I hope he doesn't.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    "Beautiful" is not a strong enough word to capture Ortega. That woman is absolute perfection, both as a woman and as an actress. Very nice. Poe was originally going to be Jimi Hendrix, but the estate wouldn't allow it, and the show runners were smart enough to make a negative into a very cool positive.

Oddly likes this.
  15. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    It would have been very cool to see Hendrix as the hotel AI, but I think Poe was perfect...as indeed was Ortega.:)
    In fact it's hard to find fault with any of the characters.
    My only regret is some of them didn't feature more...

The one relationship that really got me was the Elliots, with the wife Eva re-sleeved in a male body...that was so well-written and acted.

mellowinman likes this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Poe is perfect as a clingy and obsessive AI, although they haven't really portrayed him as all that clingy and obsessive. He's supposed to be so bad that he hasn't had a customer in fifty years? Aside from popping up uninvited occasionally, he's been seemingly helpful and sympathetic. That's why I think he's gonna eventually go bad. Hendrix would have to be cool and layed back. Edgar Allen Poe is a much better fit for someone who's supposed to be a little nuts.

mellowinman likes this.
  17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That was done so well. A reuinion between an damaged and angry man and his long lost wife inside some dude's body could've been comical but it wasn't at all. It worked.

mellowinman likes this.
  18. I enjoyed it. Lots of really good acting, writing was pretty good too. It's rare to get speculative fiction that isn't space opera these days. They ran with the premise very well.