1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

altered tuning to 5ths

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by steve2, Aug 18, 2007.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Just curious if its possible to tune a bass in 5ths like a violin with the 1 sting being E. I dont thing a high C from a six string could be tuned that high. The strings would be E,A,D G.

The G could go to A,D would stay the same. E could go to G.

Hope someone understands how I am thinking. Thanks for advice.

Steve

2. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    It would probably be wiser to tune it C G D A as opposed to G D A E. That way you're staying within the functional range of bass. Whatever you decide just remember that you have to decrease the string gauge if tuning up or increase the string gauge if tuning down. Let's not forget the nut work involved albeit easier when increasing gauge.

3. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Thanks I will have to study on that. That gives me at least something to study on. I noticed on Juststrings.com they sell under individual stings their brands of all kinds of guages. My reasoning is years ago I grew uplearing mandolin learning a couple nice jazz tunes and thought it would be easier to tune the bass like a mandolin than to transpose everything which is what I am working on now with my 6 string bass. Just an idea. I only have one spare bass to tinker with and that is a 5 string. Transposing on the 6 string has not been that bad just taking some work. Thanks again

4. user101

user101

Oct 15, 2006
    tuning in 5ths is a nightmare for the left hand. But it does have 1 good point. It forces the left hand to do something new and different.
    *if you're lefty then right hand ;)*