Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Altered tunings

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Ashley Long, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    This is a question for Michael Manring:

I have been experimenting with altered tunings using a 6 string fretless and a 5 string fretless with a high c which gives me a lot of freedom. But, I was just wondering how you set up your musicman for altered tunings as I cant really afford a graphite necked bass.

And another thing, where did you get that groovy case for 2 basses I saw you with in Birmingham in 2002?

Ash

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Ashley,

I'm glad to hear you're having fun with altered tunings! I did a lot of experimenting with altered tunings before I got any instruments with composite necks and never worried too much about set-up. I usually adjusted the action and truss rod so that my basses played well in standard tuning and just lived with the changes altered tunings caused. However, I do recommend returning a wood-necked bass to standard tuning (or whatever tuning it's set-up for!) if you're not going to be playing it for a few hours.

My double cases are made by a company called "Modern Case" (http://www.moderncase.com/) and they're great. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs to travel with more than one bass.