1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Altering headstock shape

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jcburn, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Hey people - just wondering if this is possible.I wanna do it at some stage to my Spector NS5CRFM.I want to make a few changes;
    1. Change the 5 string headstock shape to something that resembles the 4 string shape and..
    2. Change the tuners from the Schaller tuners it currently sports to tuners that are lighter (again any suggestions on this)
    Enclosed is a photoshoped pic of a rough before and after and also another pic of a headstock shape that I like and would consider.
    And obviously I'm not going to attempt this myself - it would be done by a luthier.
    Thanks for any help in advance.

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    as for tuners... Hipshot Ultralites? they must be light since they're named like that.

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I'm not really sure why you want to change the headstock shape, but for tuners I would also recommend the hipshot ultralites.

4. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I don't really care WHY you would want to change the headstock shape of that bass, but I WOULD like to point out that the strings pass over the nut and go "straight" to the tuners as it is now. Changing the headstock, as you plan, would really mess up that straight pull to the tuners, probably causing tuning problems with binding at the nut.

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Actually, if done properly, you would achieve a straighter string pull. What you want to do is to is first fill the tuner holes trying as best as you can to match the grain on the back of the headstock. You then have to remove a bout 3/4 of an inch from each side of the headstock, and glue up new wings for shaping. A good luthier will level the headstock, removing the figured maple veneer before shaping, and apply a new one. They will then rout the shape you desire, and drill/mill your new tuner holes, and then finish to color. It's a relatively simple job, but takes a bit of time to do correctly.

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    +1
    I agree that it would be a nicer look, but functionality trumps looks in my opinion.
    See if you can rework your new design to get the visuals that you want but still keep a straight line for the strings.