1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Altering radius on fretless board question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kael, May 2, 2010.

1. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I just bought a used warmoth fretless neck that is 10" radius. I am planning on epoxying the fingerboard. The only radiused sanding block I have is 9.5". I am wondering how much effort is invlolved in changing the radius on a fretless fingerboard? While I know that to "do it right" I should just get the right sanding block, my inner skinflint is thinking "c'mon, you can re-radius it by a half inch and save the $15 on a new block." I am curious if the only re-radiusing I would need to do could be done after the application of epoxy. ie: epoxy the 10" fingerboard and then shape that epoxy to 9.5".

Thanks in advance...

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    You are asking if .004" makes a difference?

No. Four thousandths will not make a difference. To anyone.

3. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    10" - 9.5" = .5" I am not sure where you came up with the .004" figure but it appears to be off by several degrees of magnitude.

Are you meaning that at a .5" radius difference, there will only be (roughly) a .004" change in thickness at the edges of the fingerboard?

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    1/2" difference across 2.5" width has a differential of .0042" between a radius of 9.5" and 10"

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Gotcha. Guess I'll not sweat it and just use the sanding block I already have.

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    If you meet a player that can tell, please let us know. :)