Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternate 5 string tuning?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Feb 10, 2001.

1. I know 5 strings are tuned B E A D G. If one were tuned E A D G C or E A D G B would the neck break/bend and would the strings snap?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shouldn't be any problems like that. You may need to modify your nut to accomodate the skinnier strings. Also, maybe a bridge and neck setup.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Also, make sure you're not going out ripping the beaks off live owls. It's probably OK if they're already dead, but I'd check with Fish and Game first to make sure it's not illegal just to have owl beaks, as it is with eagle feathers.

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    My opinion is that you can tune a 5-string however you want. Tuning it higher might be good for soloing or chordal playing. The only problems would be with setup. You would probably need a new nut, or something stuck in the nut slots. You might need to adjust the neck and intonation. I have a big crush on my B-string, though.

5. Shhhhh! Its nighttime! You dont want to scare the little owls as I try to catch them. We must whisper. :)

And I dont need no permission to do that! I got myself a John Deere hat!

6. I use EADGC tuning on my Fodera Emperor and all it needed was a neck adjustment. The other comments regarding a new nut might be necessary too, it just depends on your bass.