1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternate Cases for pedalboards?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AngusHasMoxie, Jan 3, 2017.

1. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    Hey guys, once I realized that the hard shell cases Temple recommends are just specially configured gun cases, I started thinking of alternative things to use as a pedalboard case.

- Old suitcases/Luggage (from a Salvation Army Store) + foam

- A shelving unit + foam + some sort of cover

What other fun ideas are there? I wouldn't mind a little DIY project to make something cool!

2. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
  3. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I like the Mono cases for pedaltrains. Fits my homemade flat board pretty well. Great padding and convenient pockets for cables, etc.

4. I have a big pedalboard.....so i use a soft-padded keyboard case. I can also "sling" this over one shoulder and carry 2 basses into a gig.....saves me a trip to the car!!
    IMG_1788.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  5. jsper

jsper

Jul 14, 2014
    I recently bought a Gator mixer bag for my pedalboard. works great

bassbrad likes this.
  6. jsper

jsper

Jul 14, 2014
    I was looking at this with my eyebrow raised, thinking "Justin Chancellor?"...then realized your username. Great videos man, very accurate covers!

7. Thanks jsper!

jsper likes this.
  8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

9. Keyboard bags and mixer bags have been a working solution for me for many years.

Maureen M, Toolmybass and jsper like this.
  10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I use the shallow part of a generic dj deck case as my main board with a slat-style 2x4 riser. So long as I don't use too tall a pedal on the back row I can close and latch the case. Cables for padding plus hoping the velcro holds, but it works like a charm.

11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    For a good 10 or 15 years that was my solution: Bought an old briefcase at the Salvation Army store for $10, and grabbed the shaped foam insert from the shipping carton for some Extron computer interface -- which just happened to be the exact dimensions of the interior of this briefcase, and whose cutout was the exact size & shape of my old anachronistic Electro-Harmonix delay pedal! It was the perfect solution... until I finally caved and mounted the E-H to a Pedaltrain Pro along with all the other stompboxes I'd collected over the years.

Now my pedalboard is too big for any normal suitcase. I'm using the PedalTrain soft case along with some additional foam padding, but I really need to get a legit roadcase with wheels, this thing is a beast!

12. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    9/10 no BR2 :spit:

:D

13. This my old board lol.
    I now have all the exact same pedals ;)

14. Ohh!....and "just for the record", JC now uses a MXR M82 (Bass Envelope Filter) in place of the BR2!....I have both on my board lol
    I also went with a strip looper, instead of the LS2 (less dancing) ;)
    100_1357.

Ba55Man1ac likes this.
  15. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    I did the suitcase and foam option. The best tip I can give you for that is to make sure to attach the pedals to the top of the suitcase. Most people do something to the hinges so you can take the top off, but I just put the foam in and called it a day.

16. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    IMG_3902.JPG IMG_3905.JPG Thrift store suitcase $12. Plywood board and angle stock about $10.

Ba55Man1ac and Bob_Ross like this.
  17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I'd really like to find a bag with dual shoulder straps like a backpack. My board weighs way more than my bass, so ideally I'd sling that on and just carry the bass in hand (I'm using public transportation 95% of the time now).

EDIT:

My board is a PT Classic Junior, in case anyone wants to do some investigating.

18. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Is your PT Classic Junior in a case already? Maybe look into this: BackAxe Home Page Basically just some shoulder straps sewn onto a webbing harness that your existing case would fit into. Just an idea.