Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alternate os help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Sep 29, 2004.

1. hello everyone!

i have a question. i want to put an os like linspire on my laptop, but i want to know...is this a good idea? Now, i was told that linspire and lindows were mainly built for internet work, which turned me off to it when i first heard about it, but now i find all i ever do on this laptop is internet, so why have my computer run such a big program as windows XP? I am only asking that people with linex/lindows/linspire people answer, because all the windows people say its a bad idea, mainly because they have never heard of linex!

so is it a good idea to switch my computer to linspire?
    i should still be able to browse the internet (its not a big problem if i don't have IE, i've had others before, i.e. netscape and chameleon) and i will have a word processor (i can always install word right?)
    and i should still be able to play one of my most favorite games of all time--battlefield 1942--right?

Thanks, Charlie

Charlie

2. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
  3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I am windows & unix developer... While, the true unix java heads will tell yea,, SURE, GO AHEAD, DO IT! I'm here to tell you, the average PC user is not capable of doing what you suggest.

4. You can certainly browse the internet under Linux, Mozilla (or one of the derivatives) is fully standards compliant and works nicely. As to the "I can always install Word" issue, why would you? Abiword will fill most people's needs, if not OpenOffice.org should (and most distros come with both). The Battlefield 1942 may be a problem, it may run under wine but I don't think there is a native client for it. There is for Medal of Honor, though.

You should probably look into a more mainstream distro than Linspire (or whatever they call themselves today...). Fedora Core is what the non-enterprise RedHat distro morphed into. It is solid, and pretty easy to work with (and free, in both senses). Suse or Mandrake aren't free, but are also solid and easy to work with.

You need to realize that a GNU/Linux environment is not an MS Windows compatible environment. It is a Posix compliant and UNIX-like environment, which is very different. Not harder, but different. I don't own a copy of Windows (other than a 2.1 box that came with something 15 or so years ago, still haven't opened it...). I've always been a UNIX guy, and now Linux for the last 6 years (a short stint in the QNX world that is barely worth mentioning in the late '90s...). You can find a great computing environment in a GNU/Linux system, but it may not be where you want to be. You should check that your laptop is fully supported, there are some bits of hardware that either don't have Linux drivers or only partial support (though it is much better than it used to be in that regard lately).

Check some of these for additional information:
    http://fedora.redhat.com/
    http://distrowatch.com/
    http://www.kernel.org/

Good luck, and have fun! :)

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Great stuff Delorean...

My only point was that, its a major learning curve... One that the average person will get frustrated with quickly.

6. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    i have used several different versions of linux none that i recoment over the other...honestly by experience with say average users (not that i am questioning your computer abilities what so ever) is that they are not as happy with linux they miss some of the familiaralities of windows

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    mandrake is sort of free, they ask you to join the :mandrake club" to help support.

8. thanks guys,
    yeah, i see myself as a somewhat above average user, i can find my way around a computer, and i have been making programs since the good ole' Apple IIE (sorry, i'm not bragging...if you've ever seen the IIE, than you know...its not hard)

anyways, i am not looking for anything easier, or harder, as delorean said, just "different". i haven't really been looking at other os's yet, i was just remembering that when i saw lindows a while back, i asked my uncle (who knows a lot more than i do) about it, and he said lindows was more for high-speed internet. i saw the tigerdirect ad for it a long time ago, and i remember it as saying that that it also took up less space on the HD as well. i mean, this is just an old laptop i have here at college, and i usually only use it for (high-speed)internet and writing papers. i was only thinking ms word because i wasn't sure what lindows/linspire had to offer, and if it would be compatible with the university's online dropbox, since it has to be a .doc file i believe. i don't need word if you say there is a good alternative.
    as for battlefield 1942, not a big problem, i don't actually play games on this on, since its an old laptop.

thanks for the advice, i am still deciding...i would like to see a screenshot of what i'd be working with if anybody has them...

Thanks,
    Charlie