1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

alternate picking between strings?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by madmaskbass, Sep 7, 2008.

1. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    i have recenty been given the task of a new original from my guitar player but the problem is that it's superfast and the only way that i can conceive to play the thing properly is by using alternate picking between the b and e string( i obviously play a five string) i have been playing bass for over ten years and have no problem with the left hand in this song but only three years ago converted to picking because the metal got heavier and heavier and have not mastered alternate picking between strings as yet. my right hands chops are pretty good i practice constantly but i just can't seem to get comfortable technique happening so if any one out there can suggest some exercises, dvd's or tips please help!!!
    :help:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're talking about using a pick? Well, regardless if you are or not, you have to practice things so slowly they're boring and super easy to play, then gradually build your speed up and don't move to a higher speed until you've mastered the current speed. And force yourself to strictly alternate even at the slowest speeds.

3. john Petrucci explains that in his DVD, you could watch that and take that information and put it on bass.