1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

alternate power for amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilberthenry, Aug 7, 2012.

1. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

May 12, 2009
    I have joined a band that plays all acoustic with the exception of me. We play on the streets about once a week and I have tried an acoustic bass guitar, but was drowned out (no surprise). I am considering a 3/4 bass, but the $ is an issue. Does anyone know of a battery or other power source that would power a small 15 watt amp for a few hours?

2. Not a battery for an amp, but an amp that runs on batteries. Pignose amps.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Pignose amps are 1/10 the wattage they are advertised at.

Roland and Taxi are more honestly rated.

You could use a small combo, a motorcycle battery, and a power inverter. The small combo should be class-d for the highest battery life.

Or you can pick up cheap little power amps
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-10131
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-10145

And power them off rechargeable batteries.
    No you can't bridge these little amps. A small cabinet with 4x8 ohm speakers, wire two to a side to give you 4 ohms per side. (Look at the Roland) The most sensitive (high efficient) cab you can find will save your battery power. i.e. Use pro-audio drivers - not car speakers.

4. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

May 12, 2009
    Can a Pignose Hog 30 keep up with a traditional bluegrass group? Does it sound like a bass amp?

5. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Roland cube bass RX kicks a lot of ass

6. You could try a computer UPS.
    Don't know how long it would run a small amp, but with all the batteries, charging circuit, and transformer included it's certainly simple.

7. Sinokawori

Sinokawori

Jun 30, 2011
    Quebec/Canada
    I once powered a PF 500 for about 1 hour to an hour and half with a 450W(750 VA) UPS.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That is the efficiency of class-d and smps

9. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta