Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternate Strings for Warwick Thumb 5 Bolt?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BuffaloBob4343, Jul 4, 2005.

1. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hi Everyone. New to the board but not to playing.

I would really like to compensate for my Thumb's less than warm mids by subbing for the Warwick Black Labels that came with the bass. While I think they are fine strings, these Steel Rounds are very bright and finger noisy, while the bass is already naturally bright to begin with. As many of you are aware, there is no mid boost on the guitar. I find myself cutting the trebel (on the bass) and high mids (on my amp) and boosting the bass, but this seems less than availing.

Anyone else out there feel the same way about their bass (Warwick or other) and what strings did you use? I am thinking either a nickel round, such as the D'Addario XL-170's, or possibly even a Chrome Bright Flat. I don't want to completely lose the natural bright sound of the bass, just want to warm up the mids, eliminate some of the string tension and finger sound, as well as minimize fret clicking which I've also noticed.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. i just tried black label's for the first time (my corvette came with something different) and i know what you mean. i don't like 'em. i'll be waiting to see what others recommend trying.

3. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Given that no has responded to this post except for you in a week, it would appear none are forthcoming! LOL!
    I am planning on trying TI Powerbass strings, and I'll let you know how they sound.

4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Try some Foderas or Optima Golds
    HTH

5. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Roundwound or flat? Steel or nickel?

Why do you like those you recommend? Are you playing them on a Warwick or similar axe?

6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    The Foderas are roundwound steels,the Optima Golds are gold-plated roundwound steels.

I installed a set of Fodera Diamonds on a friend's Thumb neck-through with original preamp a while ago and they did the exact job you're looking for.The growl was there but the mids got out instantly,as opposed to the Black Labels wich were very "nosy" and noisy.
    On the other hand,on my Streamer Stage I fretless I tried almost every string I could find and I settled on the Optima Golds.They're the most responsive strings I ever played on (comparable with Thomastiks,but these offer a different feel).To keep the things short,I'm a "mid-tone" guy,very picky about a string's midtones characteristics on a given bass.
    HTH,

7. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Great info! I truly appreciate your time. One last question. Are you having any trouble with fretboard wear on your fretless using the roundwound steels on it?

My Modulus GVJ4 has a chechen FB, which is supposed to be tough. I know Modulus ships there basses new with D'Add XL 165s I believe, including the fretless basses. The guy I'm buying the bass from (I pick it up tomorrow evening) has LA Bella tapewounds on it, but I think that will probably be too subdued for my tastes.

8. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Of course,a roundwound string eats up the fretboard faster than a pressure or a flatwound (but you already know that).
    I have 2 fretless basses,the first is the Streamer Stage I I modified myself (initially,it was a fretted wenge fingerboard but I went mad one day and I replaced the entire fretboard...now is a fretless with a steep-radiused padauk fingerboard).With the Optima Golds I put up,I noticed minimal fretboard wear but less than,say,other steel rounds I had before.
    The second fretless is a Schack with ebony fretboard (no,no intervention on a Schack neck...I'm not that crazy).The same thing about the Optimas,maybe even less because ebony is harder than padauk.
    I don't mind if in the nearby future my fingerboards wear..I'll sand them myself when the time comes.Your chechen fingerboard should last a long time before any intervention,I think...
    Regards,

9. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Awesome info brother. Peace and rock on! :bassist:

10. i came across this same problem with my corvette....i got some DR lowriders (steel) and i love their sound! makes my 5 string sound all nice.

11. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sounds like one of my favourite strings would maybe suit you, GHS Pressurewounds. There available in 3 gauges 40-96, 44-102 and 44-106, i have tried the last two mentioned. There egg shaped nickelplated roundwounds with a little deeper bass and a little more brightness and they take away about 75% of the string noise/clicking.

*EDIT:* BTW, i have the 44-102 set on my Corvette ricght now...

12. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks for the input! This is exactly the kind of empirical info I was hoping for. Did you switch from the Black Label Steels for the same reason?

13. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I thought the Warwick strings sounded very clanky and bright so i wanted to cool the bass down and i remembered i had these strings on a P i had before which had good results so i went and bought a set. Sounds just the way i want it, roundwound tone without the clicking/clanky sound.